PDA

View Full Version : Tang/Foxface vs. Umbrella Caulerpa

Itchy Trigger
04/12/2015, 09:09 AM
I've got some umbrella caulerpa growing in my 90g reef. The stuff came in on some live rock and I've always been able to manage it by pulling it out by hand, but the stuff keeps growing back and popping up in new places. It's not horrible looking, but I'd prefer to have it gone.

I have a foxface in my 330g that I know eats the stuff - I threw some in once and he went bananas on it. I really don't want to remove the foxface from the 330g as that is really his tank, so I'm thinking about getting another one for the 90g... Or potentially a small tang. I've got a yellow tang in QT right now, and I offered him some of the caulerpa but he didn't eat it... Is it likely that he'll eventually start eating it? Or would my best bet be to just get another foxface for the 90g?

Neebles
04/12/2015, 09:12 AM
I have had a foxface and a tang, the foxface at pretty much whatever, loved it all including macro. The tang, not so much. I would get another foxface. Just watch though, you will get one and he won't touch the stuff...

Camel413
04/12/2015, 11:52 AM
I would move your current Foxface over since you know for sure that he will eat it. You could always move him back once he gets it under control.

Itchy Trigger
04/12/2015, 03:36 PM
Ha! I just got home and discovered that the yellow tang did in fact eat the caulerpa. He ignored it all day yesterday and last night. I decided I'd leave it in there juuuuuuust in case, and to my delight & surprise, he ate it all. Threw some more in and he ate that too. Problem solved!