PDA

View Full Version : White Stringy Thing on TOP of clownfish

TheDeepSandBed
04/12/2015, 06:35 PM
So I just noticed today that one of my clowns has two white stringy things (about 1.5 inches long) dangling from it. One is on top, dangling form his dorsal fin, the other is dangling from his right pectoral fin.

Anyone have any ideas? They are behaving a little strangely and hovering near the overflow. I'm worried :sad2:

http://i.imgur.com/xEffZARh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UZ2yPceh.jpg

Martini5788
04/12/2015, 08:48 PM
I would take it out and treat with prazi. No idea what it is but I don't like it. Maybe a freshwater dip? If you don't get a response here then try the disease forum

TheDeepSandBed
04/12/2015, 10:19 PM
I did a 5 minute freshwater dip and it seemed to make things worse. One of the fish died shortly after being reintroduced to the tank. The other is currently swimming frantically and keeps biting at the surface of the water. I thought it might be lack of oxygen in the water so I added an air stone into the sump.

I had 3 fish die this weekend leaving only him left. My tank is relatively young (about 1.5 months) but having disease in the tank is not a good sign already. I will let it sit fallow for 3 months if this guy kicks it in the morning. Sad day in my house :(

TheDeepSandBed
04/12/2015, 10:46 PM
Also, I'm fairly certain it was Brooklynella that got this clown. And I believe it was ich that got the potter's angels. I really can't figure out why they are all so stressed.

Ammonia, nitrite were both 0
nitrates were a little high at around 25
ph is 7.98
temp was stable between 78-79
salinity is 1.025-1.026
just did a water change yesterday of about 10g in a 70g tank

I'm really baffled. I know the tank is young, but I have had many tanks over the years and never had such a catastrophic beginning to one.

On a side note, what do you feed a tank with corals and just a CUC?

TheDeepSandBed
04/12/2015, 11:13 PM
Last fish just died. Found him pinned to the overflow intake. Complete team wipe. Well, let the fallow period begin. Maybe after that I will be able to have at least one fish live.

Jade5051
04/13/2015, 12:47 AM
And I thought I had it bad.

julie180
04/13/2015, 05:33 AM
Sorry you are having so much trouble. Now would be a good time to set up a QT tank and get familiar with proper procedures so you do not infect your DT again.

When I had to run fallow, I feed mysis for the snails/crabs and target fed my 2 stars and 2 shrimps a couple of times a week.

Best of luck

mattgumaer
04/13/2015, 07:33 AM
Quarantine is critical, particularly after the number of your fish increases. My two cents in addition to that are, buy your fish from a quality source. The difference between a quality supplier versus not may well be the difference between enjoying the hobby versus frustration and quitting. I like Diver's Den at Live Aquaria. Generally, they are significantly more expensive than LFS but, when you factor in the cost of having to replace fish that you've bought sick or stressed and the 'cost' of the personal stress related to watching a fish die and trying to save it, at least to me, the premium is worth it. Good luck. Set up a QT and don't give up.

Matt

trembz
04/14/2015, 04:45 PM
Quarantine is critical, particularly after the number of your fish increases. My two cents in addition to that are, buy your fish from a quality source. The difference between a quality supplier versus not may well be the difference between enjoying the hobby versus frustration and quitting. I like Diver's Den at Live Aquaria. Generally, they are significantly more expensive than LFS but, when you factor in the cost of having to replace fish that you've bought sick or stressed and the 'cost' of the personal stress related to watching a fish die and trying to save it, at least to me, the premium is worth it. Good luck. Set up a QT and don't give up.

Matt
+1 regarding getting your fish from a quality source,
I've lost so many fish over the course of a year buying from the same location that I must have given the fish shop enough money to pay a months rent in his shop,
I've then since changed to a store that quaretines his fish 4 weeks prior to selling to me (mind you his selection his much smaller and more expensive).
Also have done a lot of research on cyanide fishing/other bad way of catching fish , and locations of quality fish