PDA

View Full Version : Need information about a basic QT system

Scubareefman
04/13/2015, 09:52 AM
Hi all,
Wanted to pick your brains about QT.

Been along time without one and I am setting a new display up and have room in my mud room for a 30 gallon breeder with stand I just picked up. Thinking bare bones QT. What all is good to have on it and what is the bad stuff. I already have two heaters.

Cheers

design1stcode2n
04/13/2015, 10:02 AM
My QT will just have seeded ceramic media from my DT, a powerhead and a section of 4inch PVC pipe. Mine is a 10g with hood/light but you can use any size appropriate to the fish your are QT'ing.

SaltyMember
04/13/2015, 10:43 AM
Keeping it simple is best. 30 gallon is a nice size to start. You will need some hiding places for fish that can be clean and don't absorb possible mess you may use. A lot of people use PVC pipe for this reason but any other inert type of plastic decorations can be used. For bio filter I use an aqua clear HOB filter and keep sponges seeded in my sump to use on the QT tank. That is a basic setup that is easy to maintain. Some people use live rock in their QT but I never have.

SaltyMember
04/13/2015, 10:45 AM
Sorry typing on an iPad. Word should be meds not mess.

ca1ore
04/13/2015, 02:03 PM
What I do ....

1. Maintain a reservoir of some kind of seeded bio-media in your main sump. I use matrix. You can run an un-cycled QT, but frankly its a pain.
2. 30L is fine for all but the largest fish.
3. Equipment includes HoB filter, powerhead, heater, some PVC fittings, a top for the tank, an ammonia badge and maybe a basic ATO.
4. I use display water with salinity adjusted down to match the shipping water of any new fish.

Scubareefman
04/14/2015, 02:10 PM
Great info all. I'm ordering a cheap ATO and 10 gallon storage jug, another heater, super cheap power head, a HOB filter. I'm going to seed using one of my ceramic bio plates from my sump.
I'm going to use a kessil 150w ocean blue I have laying around :) this is going to work out.