PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Christmas Wrasse

gone fishin
04/13/2015, 01:55 PM
Hey all been thinking about a christmas wrasse addition, any experiences with them.

current wrasses:
Black fin wrasse (cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus)
Solon fairy wrasse
Hoevens
Pink margin fairywrasse
Exquisite fairy wrasse

other fishes are a foxface lo, kole tang, pair of oscellaris, long nose hawkfish and two zebra dart fish.

anbosu
04/13/2015, 02:07 PM
It should be ok in your tank - if you have a problem it'll be from the melanurus, I would guess.

Dmorty217
04/13/2015, 02:41 PM
Calling TJ and Hunter...

evolved
04/13/2015, 03:10 PM
What does "Christmas wrasse" mean to you?

Halichoeres biocellatus? Halichoeres ornatissimus? Halichoeres claudia? Or something else (not a Halichoeres)? Thalassoma trilobatum? (definitely avoid this one)

(Avoid H. ornatissimus)

evolved
04/13/2015, 03:14 PM
One of many exhibits why common names drive me crazy...

gone fishin
04/13/2015, 05:21 PM
Halichoeres Claudia is the one I have been looking at. Glad I posted I did not realize so many were called Christmas.

evolved
04/13/2015, 05:27 PM
claudia would be relatively safe, but I would still advocate using an acclimation box.

It's worth noting though, claudia and ornatissimus are sometimes confused, and the latter has a tendency to be much more aggressive once mature.

gone fishin
04/13/2015, 05:29 PM
Thanks Hunter glad you chimed in.

BrianD
04/13/2015, 05:29 PM
(Avoid H. ornatissimus)

x 1 gazillion

gone fishin
04/13/2015, 05:34 PM
sounds like you had one of these at one time, Brian

snorvich
04/13/2015, 05:50 PM
Halichoeres Claudia is generally peaceful. If doing wrasses, however, I also encourage an acclimation box always be used. I would avoid all Thalassoma wrasses.

gone fishin
04/13/2015, 05:54 PM
Thanks Steve, I have used acclimation boxes with my previous additions. What difference a simple little box makes.

eatbreakfast
04/13/2015, 06:42 PM
It's worth noting though, claudia and ornatissimus are sometimes confused, and the latter has a tendency to be much more aggressive once mature.

Thoough if you can find out where it was collected, not always possible, but certainly helpful. H. ornatissmus is a Hawaiian endemic, s oo any collected from elsewhere will be H. claudia.

gone fishin
04/13/2015, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the tip.

jjoos99
07/21/2015, 06:51 PM
Little confused with the latin names. Is the srilanka christmas wrasse ok? I have a melanarus that I just added last week to help with aefw. Placing a wholesale order tomorrow and thinking of the srilanka wrasse.
thanks
Jeff

Deinonych
07/21/2015, 08:10 PM
Little confused with the latin names. Is the srilanka christmas wrasse ok? I have a melanarus that I just added last week to help with aefw. Placing a wholesale order tomorrow and thinking of the srilanka wrasse.
thanks
Jeff

Per the above commentary, providing the scientific name is the best way to ensure you are getting the right species. Given that the range of T. trilobatum includes Sri Lanka, I would verify before purchase. You don't want to keep that fish with a H. melanurus (or at all IMO).

jjoos99
07/21/2015, 08:16 PM
Per the above commentary, providing the scientific name is the best way to ensure you are getting the right species. Given that the range of T. trilobatum includes Sri Lanka, I would verify before purchase. You don't want to keep that fish with a H. melanurus (or at all IMO).
thanks for the advise. I will just pass on the christmas and give the melanarus a chance at the aefw.
Jeff