PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Garden Eel help !

kelmart
04/13/2015, 02:54 PM
hi all ,

new to forum , hoping to pick some brains :uhoh3:

i have 3 spotted garden eels , they have all been doing well , 2 gaining in size and settled , however the 3rd cant settle , it has been making burrows in the shallow side of the tank , not eating properly and now today it cant seem to burrow back under and has now taken up home inside my filter !!
any ideas ?? :sad2:

anybody ?

ReefsandGeeks
04/13/2015, 03:40 PM
That's a tough one as garden eels dont seem to be a very popular choice. I belive they are very difficult, can't remember why though. If the others are acting fine, I'd think perhaps he's sick? do you have a QT you can put him in if needed? do you see any physical damage or other eels picking on him?

kelmart
04/13/2015, 04:58 PM
hi thanks for reply ,

i cant see any markings on him and he does stay a fair distance away from the others so im sure its not them , im reluctant to move him as they do get quite stressed and nervous at the best of times but i think that might have to be the next step ,

thank u again :bigeyes:

ichthyogeek
04/13/2015, 05:05 PM
Tank size? Substrate depth? Either of these would be good info to have. Especially since you mention 'deep' side and 'shallow' side.

kelmart
04/13/2015, 05:18 PM
hi ,

ok tank size is 45 gallons , deep substrate is 8 inches shallow 4 inches , the other 2 eels are all settled in their spots on the deep side but this one just cant settle and hasnt gained weight like the others

ichthyogeek
04/13/2015, 06:13 PM
Hmm...what's the square footage of the deep substrate bed? I was reading an old AFI/FAMA magazine about garden eels, and I want to say it said something about 2 square feet for the first eel, and another square foot for every eel added...