PDA

View Full Version : Tank transfer method buckets

Oakes1523
04/14/2015, 03:01 AM
Instead of using two buckets for the transfer method, can I just buy 6 5 gallon buckets? I feel it's just easier for me instead of draining, cleaning and drying the buckets after 3 days. Can I just set up all 6 buckets with new saltwater, with a heater, thermometer, and air stones? Do I have to have air stones? Then after 72 hours in the first bucket, transfer my fish to the second bucket, then transfer to the third bucket after 72 hours, then transfer to the fourth bucket after 72 hours, then to the 5th bucket after 72 hours, then transfer to the 6th bucket after 72 hours, can I do this? Or do I have to use 2 buckets??? Is all need is heaters, thermometers, and maybe air stones? Do I really need air stones. Thank you

reefwiser
04/14/2015, 04:36 AM
Air stones keep the water turning over so the oxygen is in the water for fish to breath.
Things I learned the hard way keeping fish for 51 years and QT. Always keep sets of equipment in QT. Meaning a heater air stone net and thermometer for each tank.
This keeps you from reinfecting the fish during transfer. I marked each set up with a color tape and that lets me stop stupid mistakes on my part. I also separated the tanks in the room so that they where on the four corners of the room away from each other and splashes of water that could infect the other equipment. For years I ran a Fish hospital for the local Marine society and learned a lot about fish care that way.

jem454
04/14/2015, 04:40 AM
I'm going to do the same thing.
Should only need 4 though, every 72 hours for 12 days.

pyithar
04/14/2015, 04:44 AM
yes, you can. it'd be even better. you just need 4 buckets. the last transfer is from the 4th bucket to your quarantine tank. you'll need airstones for water movement.

Sk8r
04/14/2015, 10:07 AM
Main thing is having the water heated and salinity ok:---when you're done with one bucket, clean, dry off, and set up again. That way you won't need so much equipment.

snorvich
04/14/2015, 10:16 AM
Instead of using two buckets for the transfer method, can I just buy 6 5 gallon buckets? I feel it's just easier for me instead of draining, cleaning and drying the buckets after 3 days. Can I just set up all 6 buckets with new saltwater, with a heater, thermometer, and air stones? Do I have to have air stones? Then after 72 hours in the first bucket, transfer my fish to the second bucket, then transfer to the third bucket after 72 hours, then transfer to the fourth bucket after 72 hours, then to the 5th bucket after 72 hours, then transfer to the 6th bucket after 72 hours, can I do this? Or do I have to use 2 buckets??? Is all need is heaters, thermometers, and maybe air stones? Do I really need air stones. Thank you

You can have 4 receptacles rather than two that your rotate. The key elements of Tank transfer:

* 72 hours or less in each cycle
* A dry clean with new water receptacle for each in coming transfer
* total of 12 days for all cycles
* no contaminated equipment use

Oakes1523
04/14/2015, 12:21 PM
Is it best to get the fish out right at 72 hours? And yeah having 4 buckets is easier for me, ideas of hurrying to drain clean and dry the equipment. It's just a piece of mind that there will be no way to re infect the other tanks. Do I need to use a net to get the fish out? Can I just scoop the fish in a cup, drain all the water real quick and drop the fish into the other bucket? And then of course throw away that cup. What if some drops of water make it to the other tank?

So I will need air stones, and heater basically and thermometer to make sure temp is correct?

Goldndoodle
04/14/2015, 01:05 PM
You will also need to keep the buckets separated from each other by at least 9 - 10 feet. Water aerosolizing from the air stone could containment the bucket next to it. You could probably set all 4 buckets up, keeping the unused buckets in a different room, closet or different floor, until they're needed.

Also remember to throw the air stones away after each transfer. NOTHING goes from bucket 1, to bucket 2, to bucket 3, to bucket 4 ... EXCEPT the fish!

snorvich
04/14/2015, 06:02 PM
Actually, 72 hours is more of a "limit" rather than an objective. I know many folks that do 2 day transfers times six times and that is as good or perhaps even better than 3 day transfers. So 3x3x3x3 or 2x2x2x2x2x2 would work equally well. It is critical, however, that the receiving receptacle be totally dry before engaging it for the next cycle.

Big_Boss_77
04/15/2015, 03:55 AM
Okay, perusing the thread and I stumbled across this. Somebody got a link to a sticky or resource I can read up on what you all are talking about for posterity?

design1stcode2n
04/15/2015, 08:03 AM
Okay, perusing the thread and I stumbled across this. Somebody got a link to a sticky or resource I can read up on what you all are talking about for posterity?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1996525

I only use two tubs so I only need two heaters/PH or HOB filters and thermometers. I find 3 days is plenty of time to soak/scrub with a bleach/water solution, dry and set up the next tub.

I'm having more difficulty making and mixing the saltwater to keep up with it (I can only make enough for two transfers and it takes me a couple of days to make RO and get the salinity correct and then get the water up to the same temp.

Big_Boss_77
04/16/2015, 06:36 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1996525

I only use two tubs so I only need two heaters/PH or HOB filters and thermometers. I find 3 days is plenty of time to soak/scrub with a bleach/water solution, dry and set up the next tub.

I'm having more difficulty making and mixing the saltwater to keep up with it (I can only make enough for two transfers and it takes me a couple of days to make RO and get the salinity correct and then get the water up to the same temp.
Ahhh, suddenly this thread makes sense lol [emoji13] thanks for the info!

Pokahpolice
04/16/2015, 06:51 AM
What method of transfer are you using? I'm assuming you want as little of the water as possible to transfer to the next stage and a net seems like it would also be counter productive by catching many of the parasites along with the fish.

design1stcode2n
04/16/2015, 08:11 AM
I use a square colander (this is more so fish don't get tangled in a net), you are going to get some water transfer but it is minimal, one of the reasons doing 4 transfers is you reduce the risk. Also keep in mind that Ick during these transfer periods are hopefully off the fish and on the bottom of your transfer medium.

snorvich
04/16/2015, 11:50 AM
I use a square colander (this is more so fish don't get tangled in a net), you are going to get some water transfer but it is minimal, one of the reasons doing 4 transfers is you reduce the risk. Also keep in mind that Ick during these transfer periods are hopefully off the fish and on the bottom of your transfer medium.

Correct. But if the ich (cryptocaryon irritans) is not yet off the fish, it will be on the next transfer. The critical factor is that the receiving receptacle has been totally dry before usage.