PDA

View Full Version : Freakishly large mutant bristleworm - issue?

ShannyG
04/14/2015, 10:15 AM
The thing is as big around as an earthworm. I don't know how long it is, don't care to. It is developing coat patterns, it's so big. I have many bristles, they keep my tank's sandy bottom spic and span but this one is starting to freak me out. I read a while ago that they will regulate their own population according to food source but do they ever become a concern?
I feed on the heavy side and my bristleworms rarely completely leave their rocks, so it would prove hard to catch. I have a very 'live and let live' attitude but my tank is only 37g and floor space is limited on the tank bottom. Will this thing eat my scooter at night when he's sleeping?

smedlin
04/14/2015, 10:33 AM
oo....

let's see some pictures of it!

Hodge1995
04/14/2015, 11:00 AM
I snapped a pic of one I found in my 300 the other night it was at least 8" long it freaked me out. I would post pic but having issues with photobucket at the moment.

insteng
04/14/2015, 11:07 AM
If it is a bristleworm it will not eat a fish unless it is already dead. If it is the size of an earthworm it is still small they can get a lot bigger than that.

phobos2deimos
04/14/2015, 11:20 AM
I'm not a fan of bristle worms. I know they're excellent scavengers and good for your tank. I only have two or three in my tank, but they're really fat, the biggest is about ten inches long. I had a sick Gramma that was hovering near the bottom near a bristleworm lair, and no kidding the worm sneaks up on him and takes a bite outta the gramma! The gramma took off (and yes, did eventually disappear for good) but I can't help but wonder what his chances would have been if I didn't have such hungry scavengers.
I've got enough beneficial scavengers in the tank, so I remove bristleworms whenever I notice them.

CStrickland
04/14/2015, 11:42 AM
If it is the size of an earthworm it is still small they can get a lot bigger than that.

^^
Also, I need to be more careful about the things i google during lunch. ugh

if you want it out you can wait until night time and grab it. tweezers work ok, but hemostats are better cause they lock shut so when it starts thrashing around you won't freak and drop it. I got one by bashing its head with a rock to stun it and then pulling it out too, but i think i got lucky. i think the traps are better for a lot of little ones, but those are even less of a prob than the big ones. a red light can help you see them at night. I would think if you fed lighter for a couple days and then put a chunk of fish out in the open, he'll come for it.

another option might be to pull his fav rock real quick if its accessible. you could just cook it for while til he comes out to hunt, or a quick fw dip - i bet that'll rouse him.

really though its nbd. i don't like them either but i just try not to think about it. specially during lunch. ugh.

swclown
04/14/2015, 12:17 PM
It's only gonna' get bigger. I pulled this guy and his buddy who was the same size (about 3 feet fully extended) from my 125 some years ago but had to tear down everything to get him. They're smart and evasive as can be and do NOT get pricked with one of the spines.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7484/16032693996_7af0d2c33c.jpg

zachfishman
04/14/2015, 12:54 PM
Probably a fireworm - Hermodice carunculata. Remove it, they'll eat coral.

Dmorty217
04/14/2015, 01:28 PM
I have bristleworms in my 220g that are as big around as your pinky. Like mentioned above they won't harm anything unless its dead or left over food

mcginnisandrew
04/14/2015, 01:32 PM
At least it's not a giant peanut worm. They're harmless too but they look so weird.

ShannyG
04/14/2015, 02:53 PM
Probably a fireworm - Hermodice carunculata. Remove it, they'll eat coral.

I don't have anything coral-wise to write home about. Zoos and mushrooms, a couple of colts. A torch that's way high up.

snorvich
04/14/2015, 06:38 PM
I have bristleworms in my 220g that are as big around as your pinky. Like mentioned above they won't harm anything unless its dead or left over food

And they are excellent scavengers, true clean up animals.

shermanator
04/14/2015, 08:31 PM
I had a giant bristle worm (~24") that led to the death of a helfrichi firefish. The fire fish was bristled. Badly. And died three days later (I assume a very painful death). I don't know how it happened, but my only guess was that the bristleworm was in whatever hole the firefish decided to burrow one night. After that, I removed all the big ones (any over 6-8" I took out).

Lauracooks
06/15/2015, 07:09 PM
If it a fireworm get rid of it. Normal bristles are great detrivores. Fireworms will sting your fish or you!

davocean
06/15/2015, 08:06 PM
Bristles can be good, fireworms bad, either way I don't like either of them when they are really big.
I use a bristleworm trap.

Teddynola
06/15/2015, 08:18 PM
I just got rid of one too!:jester: