PDA

View Full Version : How do you people have so many fish? (Compatability question)

cleverbs
04/14/2015, 11:07 AM
I have never had a ton of fish in my tanks however I am wanting to now. I see these reef tanks with a LOAD of fish in them. How do they do it? Do they just buy what ever and toss them in and cross their fingers? when you get a lot of fish do you suddenly not have aggression issues between the same types of fish.

I have a 220g tank I want to have a lot of fish in it because SPS tanks seem to do best with a lot of fish in the tank. I am trying to figure out if there is a method to this or if its just madness? I want to just put in little bits of everything. I have always in the past been very selective and bought the more expensive fish because of how they look and I dont care so much about that anymore. I have never had fire fish because I didnt care for them but I am thinking of just having some of everything. I would love to have more then one of the same type of fish I dont want to continue this road of having like 1 of a fish. How is this done?

I also plan to heavily QT everything from here on out as well. Not something I have done it that past but something I will be doing moving forward.

toothybugs
04/14/2015, 11:27 AM
It's pretty easy, IMHO - you have to understand your fish's needs.

First, come up with ALL the fish you want to put in the tank. Then categorize them per these guidelines (not in any particular order):

If you have territorial fish, ex. clownfish or damsels, you have to be able to give them "their space" before considering anything else. This includes following a stocking order to let the smaller, more peaceful/ less combative fish establish a spot first, then, if you have multiple territories still available, consider more adds (probably simultaneously). A lot of the smaller reef fish, such as blennies, will do fine with a relatively small area to call their own so long as they get to it first. Tangs, not so much - you have been around long enough you should be well aware of the Tang Police :)

It is also mandatory to know WHERE your fish occupies - rockclimbers vs open water has a huge effect on your fish stocking. See the "Tang" reference above.

Last (unless I'm forgetting something) what do they eat? Corals? That's no bueno unless you're FOWLR. Might want to reconsider that rabbitfish if you have a few tangs, and vice versa. Or that really cool trigger or lionfish if you like all your pretty little 3 inchers.

Also, a hint, if you can get paired fish, do so. It increases your numbers while at the same time having a relatively minimal effect on the "space" you've lost (in that you don't have to provide two separate and distinct territories).

Anyone else have suggestions?

ShannyG
04/14/2015, 11:33 AM
I actually avoid pairs as I read it increases aggression if they mate up.
When buying for my tank, I made a point of checking liveaquaria and only buying fish they considered peaceful, with a couple of mild exceptions.
I also believe feeding adequately reduces aggression. My clown becomes a real jerk if I feed less than 3x a day.

toothybugs
04/14/2015, 11:33 AM
PS - Sk8r has a neat few write-ups of her damsel tank, which you could emulate if you want a lot of activity and color without breaking the bank. It would also allow you a neat collection of rockclimbers as well. But you have an incredibly diverse set of options ahead of you with a tank that size. Plan your reefscaping to include territories and you will be in great shape.

joshky
04/14/2015, 11:43 AM
Best to introduce multiple new arrivals at once to disperse aggression, acclimation boxes help as well.

cleverbs
04/14/2015, 11:44 AM
Well then lets make this a bit better. Let me list what I HAVE right now and maybe that will give a better idea.

Sailfin tang
Yellow tang
Pair of Piscasso clowns
Starry Blenny
4x Green Chromis
Pair of Banggai Cardinals
Target Mandarin
Coral Beauty Angel

Some things I want to add are -
1 or 2 more yellow tangs - Been planning this a long time and now is my chance
Orange shoulder tang
5 or so Yellow Chromis - Wanted those a long time never seen any though
Anthias probably quite a few
Midas Blenny
Couple firefish
couple Scissortails

I mean honestly I really dont care at all what fish they are I just want to fill up the tank with a really nice load of fish.

All that is on the "List" that is staying is my group of yellow tangs. I do not fear the tang police at all and I dont feel that its anything that wrong anyways my tank is more then large enough to house many tangs.

cleverbs
04/14/2015, 11:45 AM
Best to introduce multiple new arrivals at once to disperse aggression, acclimation boxes help as well.

Good advice, I do have a large acclimation box I can use.

CHSUB
04/14/2015, 12:22 PM
imo, skip the orangeshoulder and get 3 yellow tangs, added at once; and have a plan if it doesn't go well, but i think it will be fine. everything else looks great. no3 might become an issue??

cleverbs
04/14/2015, 01:36 PM
imo, skip the orangeshoulder and get 3 yellow tangs, added at once; and have a plan if it doesn't go well, but i think it will be fine. everything else looks great. no3 might become an issue??

I dont think it will, I have been struggling for months to get No3 to 1ppm and I run a BB tank with a skimmer rated for up to a 600g tank and my system is ~270-280

If it climbs that will just give me a reason to start Carbon dosing something I have been thinking about doing but cant because its not needed with my current bioload.

I was also thinking about leaving the orange shoulder out I was just thinking if I added another tang to the tank that would be it. I currently have a yellow tang but have to replace my tank so he will be pulled out of the system for a few weeks in order for me to set the new tank up and redo the aquascape so when he gets put back in it will be a whole new tank and he will go in with 2 other yellows at the same time.

flyhigh123
04/14/2015, 01:52 PM
buy them all, put in qt tank, then put them in a few at a time... i like to put in 2-3 fish at a time so they dont all bully one fish at a time.

cleverbs
04/14/2015, 02:11 PM
well I am not going to buy 20 fish at a time, I will buy 3-4 at a time QT them and move to display together.

d2mini
04/14/2015, 02:44 PM
I have a 200g display with the following fish.

1 Desjardini Sailfin Tang
1 Yellow Tang
1 Bristle Tooth Tang
1 Magnificent Foxface
1 Spotbreast Angelfish
1 Snowflake Clown
1 Mystery Wrasse
1 Orange Back Wrasse
1 Melanurus Wrasse
2 Purple Firefish
3 Blue Eye Cardinals
5 Blue Green Chromis

I would like to add a few more.

And connected to the same system, i have a two True Percula Clowns and a Spotted Rabbitfish in the frag tank, plus a Bangaii Cardinal in the mangrove tank.

I do have a pretty heavy cleanup crew consisting of several serpent stars, snails, hermits, and cucumbers.
Need to get some more shrimp.