PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my GSP

jetmart
04/14/2015, 05:53 PM
It has been closed up for the last 36 hrs. Got it 3 weeks ago and it has been fine. It has been like this since a 10% water change. This was the 3rd water change since I got him. All else is fine including anemone, Frog spawn, Leather & Colony Polyp corals. There were 2 snails on it for a period of time.

After & Previous Pics below

Neebles
04/14/2015, 05:58 PM
GSP is a good indicator that something is off with your parameters....have you checked everything since the change?

Reef Frog
04/14/2015, 06:31 PM
^This is true. But sometimes they retract during the smallest change in environment, or seemingly for no reason at all. Your purple mat looks fine. It's a very hardy animal. There's a 99% chance it will extend again soon. If in doubt, no harm in trying a new location. Direct high velocity flow or physical handling can cause polyp retraction.

jetmart
04/14/2015, 06:50 PM
^This is true. But sometimes they retract during the smallest change in environment, or seemingly for no reason at all. Your purple mat looks fine. It's a very hardy animal. There's a 99% chance it will extend again soon. If in doubt, no harm in trying a new location. Direct high velocity flow or physical handling can cause polyp retraction.

thanks but the purple mat is what i am calling the GSP and what it looks like when it is retracted. It goes form being long and green like the pic to retracted and purple.

bluecoyote79
04/14/2015, 07:22 PM
They are okay with high light, but maybe it needs to be light acclimated. Check all your water parameters because something may be off.

ca1ore
04/14/2015, 10:14 PM
Retracted GSP certainly could be a sign something is amiss, but if the other corals are fine it's more likely to just be normal cycling. I've kept GSP for many years, and mine always goes through these cycles - sometimes closed up for as long as a week. Often one 'clump' is closed, while others in the same tank are open. Poor choice as tank 'canary' for that reason.

scooter31707
04/15/2015, 06:28 AM
Agree with everything said so far. IME, mines closed for about 3 days, thought it was my parameters but they were good. I decided to move it right in front of a MP40, 10 minutes later it open right back beautiful as ever and has stayed out ever since. So I am guessing they like high flow.

cleverbs
04/15/2015, 09:21 AM
I do not think GSP is a good sigin of anything honestly. I have kept GSP in the past in my LPS tanks and at times it did help me see a alk swing for something however I have had a strange experience with it the last 6 months. I converted my tank to sps and belived in the whole its nice to have because it tells you when something is off. Well at this point I call BS. I fine tuned my tank for SPS - alk 7.6-8 / Calc 430 / Mag 1360 / Po4 .02-.04 / No3 1ppm or at least try to get No3 raised its hard to do. I run 250w Radiums /w t5's and strong flow. My GSP HATES ME it has been closed up for weeks, it will open every few days about 1/10th the polpys will come out. Then I test and test and everything is spot on. I have come to the conclusion that GSP is a great as someone said before "canary" for zoa tanks or softy tanks but if you are shooting for a nice LPS or SPS tank well they arnt always the best. Some people have them take off like crazy in their tanks I have never had good luck with this. Why? I have no a clue but I do know my SPS are growing well with huge PE so I am doing something right.