PDA

View Full Version : Unknown acro dying

ShesEasy
04/15/2015, 02:52 PM
Well I have a dying Acropora

It's slowly gone from the base up the one side, there still some of the coral that has its colour obviously but I've never seen any polyps come out. This was a rescue from an unstable tank

What I'm curious about is that after a month in my tank with stable prams:

78.5-79 F
Cal 430
Mag 1320-1350
Alk 8
Ph 8.1
Sal 1.025
Phos, amon, nitrite, nitrate 0.00

Is it this coral a lost cause as it has died more while I'm my tank, while others sps including acros have done well coloured up nicely and progressed

Should I give up or maybe would it be worth it to cut the seemingly alive peice off the top and one off the side and frag them.My concern with that would be ****ing it off more.

Any feed back on whether it's a lost cause or not is greatly appreciated

Photo from today after a month in my tank (started with only a touch of dead on the base)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q19/honda_civic_boy/Mobile%20Uploads/tmp_25393-DSC_0620-28218747.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/user/honda_civic_boy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/tmp_25393-DSC_0620-28218747.jpg.html)

Mr V
04/15/2015, 04:50 PM
Sound like STN. How old is your tank? The rock look new.

ShesEasy
04/15/2015, 05:12 PM
STN?

Tanks three month rock was and is established just clean that specific rock was out of water for a while but rest of the rock was established

It's just clean...I've got green coraline and some pink and maroon

rfgonzo
04/15/2015, 07:19 PM
STN, slow tissue narcosis.

ShesEasy
04/15/2015, 07:31 PM
So as I said before is it something I can stop by re fraging the top inch that apears to be alive

Or is it a lost cause...cause as I said...in my tank now for a month....it hasn't shown signs of improvement

markalot
04/15/2015, 07:59 PM
You won't know unless you try it. Sometimes cutting above the dead area and super gluing it to a new plug is enough to stop the necrosis. Sometimes no matter what you do they die.

ShesEasy
04/16/2015, 12:55 AM
Alright...so if it's this STN you guys speak of its basicly just going to keep going....no healthy prams and good lighting ect will help heal it?

Maybe tomorrow I'll re glue it

bluecoyote79
04/16/2015, 01:59 AM
I would dip it in Lugol's solution (iodine) and do a water change. You can also try putting super glue at the edge of the tissue where it's receding. I would say try something because I doubt it will stop receding. I recently fragged the top of an acro that was STNing but it kept receding so I dipped in Lugol's and now it's starting to recover.

I also had an acro RTN (rapid tissue necrosis) recently and so I dipped in Lugol's and used super glue along the recession and it stopped receding and the polyps are back out.

plyle02
04/16/2015, 05:46 AM
the coral looks to me like a blue tort, FYIW. IMO, I would simply take a goob of super glue gel, spread it heavily to the afflicted area which has receded, then simply glue the coral horizontally versus vertically to the rock. This will eliminate need for cutting the coral, give it more surface area for light, then allow the dead areas to be covered with glue, maximizing the available tissue remaining. You could also snip the dead tips before gluing. If your parameters are as stable as you stated, the lighting is good, the tank is being fed, give it time, should bounce back.