PDA

View Full Version : Help: Display overflow issue.

brianp626
04/16/2015, 11:00 AM
Let's start with the tank layout. Basic display with a sump. Issue, the tank is overfilling. Water line rises above the overflow box. I've been going over this in my head all day and I must be overlooking something. The pump has been making a weird noise but I can't see how that would be the problem. It's like it's not draining out of the display fast enough but the flow of the pump depicts the flow out right? I'm very confused. Any help would be appreciated.

RocketEngineer
04/16/2015, 11:02 AM
Sounds to me like you need to put a valve on the output side of the return pump. If you push more water into the tank than it can handle, the water level in the tank will rise. If you push less than what the overflow can handle, the amount of water entering the display will match the amount of water draining out and everything will balance out.

fishgate
04/16/2015, 11:03 AM
Flow out of the tank (drain) determines overall flow. Maybe you have a snail or something in the drain line. Your sump should be designed so your tank is never able to overflow. Bad design you might want to fix that!

jacksonpt
04/16/2015, 11:08 AM
Let's start with the tank layout. Basic display with a sump. Issue, the tank is overfilling. Water line rises above the overflow box. I've been going over this in my head all day and I must be overlooking something. The pump has been making a weird noise but I can't see how that would be the problem. It's like it's not draining out of the display fast enough but the flow of the pump depicts the flow out right? I'm very confused. Any help would be appreciated.

That's probably just what's happening. The pump is pushing water into the display faster than your drains can, uh, drain water out. What return pump do you have? What's your drain plumbing (number of drains, size of pipe)? Are there valves on either the return or the drain(s)?

150Ron
04/16/2015, 11:08 AM
The flow rate of your pump is greater than that of the overflow box. Is it a new setup? Do you have a valve on your return not fully open? Is there a snail in the line blocking flow?

brianp626
04/16/2015, 12:29 PM
One more important thing. I've had this tank up and running for a year now. That all makes sense to me but there is nothing blocking the drain. I just don't understand why all of the sudden this is happening.

RocketEngineer
04/16/2015, 12:31 PM
Biofilm build/ critter fouling up inside the drain pipe.

brianp626
04/16/2015, 12:36 PM
That's probably just what's happening. The pump is pushing water into the display faster than your drains can, uh, drain water out. What return pump do you have? What's your drain plumbing (number of drains, size of pipe)? Are there valves on either the return or the drain(s)?

Mag5 pump (I think Danner makes them now.) I bought it about 3 years ago and it's only been in use for a little over a year. One drain coming out of an eshopps overflow box (u-tube style). Size of pipe I can't quite remember. I want to say 1-1/4". The return has a check valve and shut off valve. No valves in drain.

brianp626
04/16/2015, 12:43 PM
Photos of both ends of the drains. Completely clear. U-tube in the overflow is very clear.

jacksonpt
04/16/2015, 01:47 PM
One more important thing. I've had this tank up and running for a year now. That all makes sense to me but there is nothing blocking the drain. I just don't understand why all of the sudden this is happening.

Could something be blocking the drain in the middle some where? A snail or something that has only made it part of the way through the plumbing?

brianp626
04/16/2015, 01:50 PM
Could something be blocking the drain in the middle some where? A snail or something that has only made it part of the way through the plumbing?

It's completely clear.

Wazzel
04/16/2015, 02:29 PM
I suspect a partial clog. If it had been running a year and was fine until now and you made no changes it is the logical place to start.

jacksonpt
04/16/2015, 02:58 PM
It's completely clear.

Well, if you were running fine for a year, and nothing has chanced with the pump/return, then it's gotta be something on the drain side.

Do you use an overflow box? Hang on or drilled? Could that be restricted somehow? Can you tell where the water is backing up exactly? How is the water level in the overlow? Any joints or unions in your plumbing... they all clear?

ca1ore
04/16/2015, 03:23 PM
One drain coming out of an eshopps overflow box (u-tube style).

Assume you mean by U-tube that this is a HoB overflow? If the drain pipe is clear, but the overflow box is not working properly is there something amiss with the U-tube. Is it cracked or occluded somehow?

brianp626
04/17/2015, 05:00 PM
Assume you mean by U-tube that this is a HoB overflow? If the drain pipe is clear, but the overflow box is not working properly is there something amiss with the U-tube. Is it cracked or occluded somehow?

Yea. It's a HoB overflow. Checked the u-tube. Looked in the box. Doesn't seem to be any problems.

For now I've throttled down the return pump and it seems to be doing ok. I just don't understand why now it needs throttled down. Completely confused and worried this thing could overflow still when I'm not home.

Rutrag
04/17/2015, 05:12 PM
Check the teeth on the box to make sure they aren't dirty and double check the height of the skimmer box to make sure it hasn't been adjusted higher accidentally. Also, make sure you don't have an air bubble trapped in the U-tube.

CStrickland
04/17/2015, 05:13 PM
If I read your sig right, you have a pf800 on a 36g?
Those are rated for much bigger tanks. Is it possible that the utube could be too wide such that the water moves slowly enough through it for microbubbles to have collected at the peak over the last year? That would leave less room for water to pass, and can eventually break siphon.
Just a thought

danil
04/17/2015, 05:22 PM
It looks like you had almost balanced system. Now something pull the balance in return pump favor. It could be all those reason above or something else. What does matter you have to adjust your sytem accordingly to avoid any chance of flood. Balance systems exist they called Herbie Overflow and they all have emergency drain in case main one get clogged. So if your system is Herbie style - I would strongly advice get the second emergency drain installed. Otherwise you have to get less of a pump or upgrade drain pipe to bigger one. You can install second overflow too but this option is better for bigger tanks. .

MikeyUU
04/17/2015, 05:27 PM
Are there any air holes on your overflow system that could have gotten clogged?