PDA

View Full Version : Crush Live Rock

Code
04/17/2015, 01:51 PM
If I take a cured live rock that has been in my tank for two months and smash it up into rubble for my sump, would it potentially cause a cycle?

thanks

Kyle461
04/17/2015, 01:54 PM
Yes the die-off could potentially cause a mini cycle.

jminick2
04/17/2015, 01:55 PM
depending on your tank size, and how much rock you are going to crush. It could, there will probably detritus that has settled in the rock that you will be mixing up and depending on how long you have it out of the water something could die.

FraggledRock
04/17/2015, 02:50 PM
It wil also cloud ur water bad depending on if it was man made rock...

Code
04/17/2015, 10:18 PM
I don't know why it doesn't show up... I have saved in my profile my tank info:

65 Gallon DT, 20 Gal Sump, 90 lbs live rock, 2 clowns, snails and hermits. Chaeto and pods in sump. Protein Skimmer in sump. I also run a filter sock.

I went and verified my profile... that info is in my tank info and it doesn't show up on my post.

CStrickland
04/17/2015, 11:08 PM
I don't know why it doesn't show up... I have saved in my profile my tank info:

65 Gallon DT, 20 Gal Sump, 90 lbs live rock, 2 clowns, snails and hermits. Chaeto and pods in sump. Protein Skimmer in sump. I also run a filter sock.

I went and verified my profile... that info is in my tank info and it doesn't show up on my post.
Same here, idk what's up with that.

Are you just gonna take a bit of rock out of the dt? If so you could easily put it in a bucket with a heater and a power head for a day or two, if no ammo shows then you won't have to worry about moving it into the sump?

Azedenkae
04/18/2015, 12:59 AM
If it's cured then you may not see a cycle. It depends on if there are living things on there that might die during the process, or stuff that is released when the rocks are broken.

Sk8r
04/18/2015, 02:15 PM
Depends on how broken. Pulverized, you'd get cloudiness. But broken into sizeable chunks, probably no effect. It'd fracture along cracks.

Re your tank into, I can't figure why it's not displaying either: it's in your profile. I'll ask around of the technical folk and try to get an answer.