PDA

View Full Version : Wrasses compatible with inverts

braidensfish
04/17/2015, 08:08 PM
Hey, so i was fascinated by these wrasses from the moment i saw them, ever since i have been doing heaps of on/off research, and havnt found a solid definate answer on whether these three species of wrasse are compatible with the invert i want
The wrasses are: Coris, Leopard, & Tamarin wrasses
The invert i want are: Cleaner shrimp, Peppermint shrimp, Astrea and nassarius snails, & Brittle starfish.
the tank will be a 190 gallon mixed reef.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, i have been reading forums and pages and just cant find the answer i need.

TIA

Moray26
04/17/2015, 11:50 PM
Coris and Leopard Wrasses wont be a problem. Great choices. Tamarin wrasse though im not sure about. :)

braidensfish
04/19/2015, 03:13 AM
thanks heaps, how many could i have two coris wrasses and a leopard in a 190 or 200 gallon reef tank

braidensfish
04/19/2015, 04:40 AM
Just wondering, but theres three other wrasse types i have been researching with no success for a while, was wondering if in your opinion would they be ok in the tank i listed above?
Melanarus wrasse & radiant wrasse & adorned wrasse

Also if anyone know if i can or cant have the tamarin wrasses in this tank please tell me

maroonman
04/19/2015, 05:40 AM
The Tamarin is a gamble. Just like a flame Angle. You may get one who is satisfied with regular feedings..or you may get one who wants to snack on your inverts.

You should have no problem housing these guys with a 200 tank

Guygettnby
04/19/2015, 06:18 AM
I don't think you are getting the proper info here....

Pretty much every wrasse I have owned has gone after inverts at one point in time. Some just tried to rid my tank of all snails, shrimp, crabs and clams. All or should I say most wrasse could go after your CUC, shrimp and clams. Don't just go and buy a wrasse thinking, hey my small shrimp are safe! There are wrasse out there that I have never had any issue with and are very peaceful, like flasher wrasse or fairy wrasse. I have had every wrasse you listed at one point in time and had different experience with all, but In the end they all ended up bothering my CUC.

Every fish will act different and you will get ones that are a complete terror! You will also get lucky some times and never have an issue although others have told you otherwise. In the end it is a roll of the dice.

I will always have a wrasse in my tanks though! They are such a good fish to have when trying to keep your tank clean of pests. For me, I would rather not have shrimp and deal with losing some snails/crabs.

Pife
04/19/2015, 07:58 AM
Go to liveaquaria.com and look up the wrasses you want.

ridetolive
04/19/2015, 10:14 AM
I've never had any issues with my leopards bothering my snails or shrimp. As far as the melanarus, radiant and adorned wrasse's go they are all in the halichoeres family and are riskier when it comes to inverts. My snails have always been safe with fish in this family but haven't had them with shrimp.

Nina51
04/19/2015, 10:25 AM
i have a yellow coris, a vrolik's, a yellow fin flasher and a red velvet fairy wrasse. none of them bother my crabs or snails but when i dump in a dozen ghost shrimp, the wrasses get them before the hawfish even have a chance.

Rutrag
04/19/2015, 11:00 AM
If it's an actual coris wrasse from the Coris genus, it will inevitably attack inverts. The fish sold as a "yellow coris" is actually from the Haliocheres genus. Most of that genus will go after shrimp and crabs. Leopards and tamarins should be invert safe. All the species you mentioned burrow into the sand bed to sleep, so sand substrate should be considered a requirement. The leopards and tamarins tend to not ship well and have difficulty oftentimes transitioning to captive life. Make sure you know that they are eating and what they're eating before you buy.

Stackemdeep
04/19/2015, 02:06 PM
I keep a melanurus and a yellow coris and they do eat snails. I have had the best luck keeping Trochus and Nerites but others are fairly quick snacks. Feeding the tank well seems to mitigate the attacks on snails. Such is life on a reef since these two fish provide other benefits such as pest control.

dbl
04/19/2015, 02:20 PM
Can only speak to a melanurus, and I too switched to the Trochus snails...their ability to right themselves gives them a fighting chance. Otherwise, the melanurus gets itself a snack. Probably just lucky, but haven't noticed it bothering anything other than the snails.

braidensfish
04/19/2015, 08:54 PM
Out of these 7 wrassses what do you think are the two most likely to leave the invert and corals i listed above alone? Yellow Coris, Leopard, Tamarin, Mystery, Melanarus, Radiant & Adorned wrasse
Also i would have the corals and iverts very established before adding any of these 7 wrasse. The sand bed will be live and 4inch
TIA

kmbyrnes
04/20/2015, 04:08 AM
These are all gorgeous fish!
I've had a Red Coris in my reef for a year now.
Buying lots of snails is just the price I pay to keep this beautiful fish.
He eats regular food as well, and doesn't bother anything else.
Just got a Tamarin into QT yesterday. My previous one jumped before I had a proper cover. It was also a good reef inhabitant.
My pair of leopards never ate and I am still a it leery about trying again. Someday ...

braidensfish
04/26/2015, 12:00 AM
These are all gorgeous fish!
I've had a Red Coris in my reef for a year now.
Buying lots of snails is just the price I pay to keep this beautiful fish.
He eats regular food as well, and doesn't bother anything else.
Just got a Tamarin into QT yesterday. My previous one jumped before I had a proper cover. It was also a good reef inhabitant.
My pair of leopards never ate and I am still a it leery about trying again. Someday ...

So, basically. I can easily keep them, if i add enough snails frequently??!

And they are good with all coral?