PDA

View Full Version : Colourful/interesting LPS/Softies for mid-top placement

serbusfish
04/18/2015, 06:17 PM
I have a number of corals in my tank at the moment, Elegance Coral, Torch Coral, Toadstool, Mushroom, and a Plate Coral. However the problem is all these corals are on the bottom, and I only have a Clove coral that is on my rock work. I know SPS go up high but I am not interested in keeping them, well actually I am only interested in one type of SPS which is the Montipora plate coral (the one that grows like a Vase) but besides that my tank is going to be LPS dominated with a few softies thrown in too.

So I was wondering what are some colourful or interestling LPS/Softies that can go higher up? I have 4x T5's for my lighting, and around a 20x turnover.

immortl
04/18/2015, 06:20 PM
I love my Duncan Coral. It sits like a tree on top of a rock. The base of it is about mid tank and it goes up to about 2-3" below the surface from there. It sits under a steve's leds conversion and has done very well ever since I got it about 2 years ago.

Thanks,
Joe

Dkuhlmann
04/18/2015, 09:29 PM
Kenya Tree's are good. I've got mine on top of the rock in a moderate flow and it seems to like where it is. Can get them pretty cheap too.

Tzwizzle
04/18/2015, 09:52 PM
A neon green leather would be nice. Yellow Fiji leather. Leathers can handle the light and flow imo.

peter fumo
04/18/2015, 10:03 PM
Kenya Tree's are good....but they grow like weeds

jeffp1
04/19/2015, 04:24 AM
My Duncan is loving life at the top under LED's.

KabayanReef
04/19/2015, 06:03 AM
Those thick-branched frogspawn look great under actinics

3dees
04/19/2015, 11:10 AM
still a work in progress, but I love softies and don't have much on the sand. they are doing fine on top with good flow.

serbusfish
04/19/2015, 03:46 PM
I like the look of Duncans so i'll try and source one of those, I already have a toadstool leather but if I can find another leather that looks a bit different I could go for one of those too. Are there no other LPS that could go higher up, or at least mid way up? Failing that I might have to follow 3dees and use softies.

Sophie reef dog
04/19/2015, 06:37 PM
I have both my torch and my hammer (as well as a Duncan) pretty high up in my tank and all are doing great. I acclimated both of them gradually to the lights and flow (LED's and added a Maxspect XF130 Gyre a couple of weeks ago). I am very far from an expert but my understanding is that most LPS can do fine under high light if given time to adjust

3dees
04/20/2015, 10:25 AM
middle pic. the blue coral is an lps, pictinia. can't really move the hammer or frogspawn higher without them stinging my softies.

BigCountry74
04/20/2015, 11:18 AM
x2 duncan. find a neon if you can. very easy to grow these, esp since you can hand feed them.

cleverbs
04/20/2015, 11:22 AM
still a work in progress, but I love softies and don't have much on the sand. they are doing fine on top with good flow.

You have a great softie tank, I have always really liked it and I am an SPS/LPS guy.