PDA

View Full Version : How can i make my tank more awesome?

aadams22
04/19/2015, 10:30 AM
So this is my ten gallon. I have 2 ocellaris clownfish and 12 lbs of live rock. Lets just say i need more stuff lol

The only limiting factor is the lighting, i dont know how long ill have this tank, so i didnt really wanna dump any money into that. I just have the cheap wally world LEDs. One of my filters is a fuge for chaeto, and i have a 7" blue LED strip for in there.

For one i would like to make this tank more self sustaining. Reduce how often i need to top off, and get a pod population going to reduce feeding. Any suggestions for that?

Second, are there any corals or other cool animals i can get that will be ok in the low lighting that will make this look more reef like?

Thanks 315104

Trybltrtle
04/19/2015, 10:33 AM
A lot of zoas, palys, shrooms, and things like green star polyps will do ok with cheap lighting. They were doing ok with my old light before I switched to my Orbit. I think water quality is sometimes more important than light is. As for top offs...a lid? That's all I can think of besides an ATO setup.

dmort
04/19/2015, 10:41 AM
The tunze nano osmolator is an awesome ato and not a terribly expensive upgrade that can really increase stability and reduce your effort. I have two on two different tanks.

aadams22
04/19/2015, 01:19 PM
A lot of zoas, palys, shrooms, and things like green star polyps will do ok with cheap lighting. They were doing ok with my old light before I switched to my Orbit. I think water quality is sometimes more important than light is. As for top offs...a lid? That's all I can think of besides an ATO setup.

Could you give me some specific examples of corals you think would work? I like the look of the mushrooms!

dmort
04/26/2015, 03:29 PM
Well mushrooms, ricordia, Duncan polyps maybe, Kenya trees, leathers, Xenia.

The only word of warning is that a lot of low light corals propagate like crazy. It sounds like a good thing but they can take over very quickly if you aren't on top of it. A buddy gave me a rock with about 10 mushrooms on it and now my whole 12 gallon tank is mushroom covered, including the back wall.

aadams22
04/28/2015, 11:46 AM
Well mushrooms, ricordia, Duncan polyps maybe, Kenya trees, leathers, Xenia.

The only word of warning is that a lot of low light corals propagate like crazy. It sounds like a good thing but they can take over very quickly if you aren't on top of it. A buddy gave me a rock with about 10 mushrooms on it and now my whole 12 gallon tank is mushroom covered, including the back wall.

Ok cool, ill keep that in mind. The second i get these dang nitrates under control haha. Ive been trying to grow some chaeto but it just keeps shriveling up and disappearing. I got rid of the wally world leds and just put the stock hood back on with 2 60w 2700k bulbs, hopefully that does the trick. Should be better for the coral too. Ive also been finding a lot of sponges in my tank lately, they seem to be multiplying

cherubfish pair
04/28/2015, 06:06 PM
+1 for lid

+1 T. nano osmo

+1 for mushrooms

Trybltrtle
04/28/2015, 10:10 PM
Here are a few of what I have in my tank right now (ps, the Current Orbit is only $120, or you can ebay it for cheaper. I'm liking mine a lot.)
None of these are my pictures btw. Just giving ideas since my tank is covered in GHA right now. -_-

Green Star Polyps
https://ceruleanlegacy.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/313973_609036718967_1226654128_n.jpg

Green Clove Polyps
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/aquasandiego/ggg/YellowTipsClovePolyps-95.jpg

Green Mushroom
http://www.reefs2go.com/media/img/reefs2go/W1024-H624-B000000/inv/c/shroom/bullseye_green_3.jpg

Radioactive Zoa
http://mrcoral.com/go/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/r/a/radioactivezoa.jpg

Fruit Drop Zoa
http://www.reefs2go.com/media/img/reefs2go/W900-H600-B000000/inv/c/pol/fruit_drop_zoanthids.png

aadams22
04/29/2015, 05:51 AM
Wow, i really like the radioactive zoa and the green mushroom! My friend has the green star polyps, i thought it was GHA till i took a closer look LOL!

I would totally buy that light if this were my permanent setup, but ill most likely be gone shopping for a 55 in few years. Then what will i do with a tiny $120 light? Haha

lhof
04/29/2015, 12:58 PM
Easy beginner corals:

1. GSP - Make sure you get the Ultra GSP, it looks a lot better under lighting

2. Most mushroom/rics - You can get mushrooms cheap and they come in a ton of colors (red/orange/blue, purple,green). Rics are a little more expensive but they tend to have more "personality" than standard mushrooms. That is unless you're spending $100+ on a jawbreaker. Could also go rhodactis mushrooms like an orange crush or superman to get some real color action in there.

3. To me, zoas do not make a tank more reef like because they dont really react to water movement. They do add color but I'd rather go palys over traditional zoas. They are larger and sway a little more. Examples I like that are reasonable are: nuclear green palys or sunny D's (ask around the regional message board and you can get some good deals).

4. Blue sympodium - kind of like GSP just a different look, similar to the clove polyps but a little smaller.

5. Kenya trees - very hearty, do not add much color but add decent movement. If you're in the LA area i could hook you up with a free kenya tree. Instead, I'd opt for a sinularia, leather or toadstool which will add some more pop and character to the tank.

Since you have clownfish you may want to see if you can get them to host:

6. Could always go with a frogspawn or hammer (make sure you go purple tip or toxic variety for color) but be careful because they can sting others) Be sure to give them some room.

7. Carpet anemone.

Good luck, you have a solid rockscape and you can do a lot with that arch on the left.

aadams22
04/29/2015, 03:11 PM
Easy beginner corals:

1. GSP - Make sure you get the Ultra GSP, it looks a lot better under lighting

2. Most mushroom/rics - You can get mushrooms cheap and they come in a ton of colors (red/orange/blue, purple,green). Rics are a little more expensive but they tend to have more "personality" than standard mushrooms. That is unless you're spending $100+ on a jawbreaker. Could also go rhodactis mushrooms like an orange crush or superman to get some real color action in there.

3. To me, zoas do not make a tank more reef like because they dont really react to water movement. They do add color but I'd rather go palys over traditional zoas. They are larger and sway a little more. Examples I like that are reasonable are: nuclear green palys or sunny D's (ask around the regional message board and you can get some good deals).

4. Blue sympodium - kind of like GSP just a different look, similar to the clove polyps but a little smaller.

5. Kenya trees - very hearty, do not add much color but add decent movement. If you're in the LA area i could hook you up with a free kenya tree. Instead, I'd opt for a sinularia, leather or toadstool which will add some more pop and character to the tank.

Since you have clownfish you may want to see if you can get them to host:

6. Could always go with a frogspawn or hammer (make sure you go purple tip or toxic variety for color) but be careful because they can sting others) Be sure to give them some room.

7. Carpet anemone.

Good luck, you have a solid rockscape and you can do a lot with that arch on the left.

Thank you so much for the detailed list, thats exactly what i was looking for!

A lot of those look really cool to me, ill probably start with whatever i can find on here or ebay for cheap. I would like to get the clowns to host, your saying the frogspawn should be ok with my lighting (120w 2700k)?

And im no where near LA, but if your in the mood to ship/you think it will make it id be willing to try

lhof
04/29/2015, 04:50 PM
It's probably not worth it for a Kenya tree frag, plus I'm pretty new at cutting up corals. You can get frags of those at a local shop for 5 buck if you look around or free from a lot of the good folks on these message boards. I'd check your local one on RC.

Also, a few areas have frag swaps where you can get great deals from hobbyists that are trying to offset some of their larger setup costs. At the last one here I snagged a frag of 10 polyps of blue hornets for $10.

Just trying to help folks get up to speed quicker than it took me and help save you some $$$. Since i went through this relatively recently (last 2-3 years) it's still kind of fresh in my mind. Let me know if you have any questions.

Trybltrtle
04/29/2015, 05:00 PM
These are great tips for all us newbs actually. I'll have to subscribe to my regional part of the forum. I really want a Kenya tree myself but I'm afraid I'm running out of room, lol.

aadams22
04/29/2015, 05:17 PM
It's probably not worth it for a Kenya tree frag, plus I'm pretty new at cutting up corals. You can get frags of those at a local shop for 5 buck if you look around or free from a lot of the good folks on these message boards. I'd check your local one on RC.

Also, a few areas have frag swaps where you can get great deals from hobbyists that are trying to offset some of their larger setup costs. At the last one here I snagged a frag of 10 polyps of blue hornets for $10.

Just trying to help folks get up to speed quicker than it took me and help save you some $$$. Since i went through this relatively recently (last 2-3 years) it's still kind of fresh in my mind. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ok cool! I dont have anything local that would give me a good deal so i pretty much have to get everything off the web.

I did ask in the earlier post if you thought my lighting was ok for the frogspawn or hammer? I 316249wanna try raising clownfish too, maybe get a little beer money or something out of it haha

Also is this a sponge? Any good?

lhof
04/29/2015, 05:33 PM
Where are you located?

Not sure of the sponge. looks like a standard hitchhiker. I just picked up a purple plating sponge for mine so cant really comment since i've only had it for a month.

and @Trybltrtle. The local forums sometimes focus on larger tanks so i have this forum and my local bookmarked. Also try nan-reef.com for some good intel.

Btw Florida is a hotbed for coral so you have a lot of options.

enchelycore808
04/29/2015, 05:42 PM
I really wouldn't use the stock hood bulbs on your tank. Heat issues, improper spectrum, and probably not fully protected from salt creep. Those incandescents tend to generate a lot of heat and with the hood on, will warm your water real fast. EspecIally for the amount of time you'll probably have the lights running. Was the switch in hood so you could grow chaeto? Were u using the blue strip for the chaeto? Ime the chaeto would benefit from a warmer color temp. I wouldn't bother using the blue LEDs to grow it. As for cheap lighting, I've used a bunch of cheap China led fixtures that got the job done for $30-40 or so. Hell, I've grow. Mushrooms, Kenya and gsp with a cool white power compact bulb for like $5. To increase pod population, you can feed the tank more often but that kinda goes against what u wanted in the first place. Plus a healthy pair of clowns can wipe out a 10g pod population in a few days so you'll be feeding anyway.

lhof
04/29/2015, 06:44 PM
link should have been nano-reef.com

aadams22
04/29/2015, 07:15 PM
I really wouldn't use the stock hood bulbs on your tank. Heat issues, improper spectrum, and probably not fully protected from salt creep. Those incandescents tend to generate a lot of heat and with the hood on, will warm your water real fast. EspecIally for the amount of time you'll probably have the lights running. Was the switch in hood so you could grow chaeto? Were u using the blue strip for the chaeto? Ime the chaeto would benefit from a warmer color temp. I wouldn't bother using the blue LEDs to grow it. As for cheap lighting, I've used a bunch of cheap China led fixtures that got the job done for $30-40 or so. Hell, I've grow. Mushrooms, Kenya and gsp with a cool white power compact bulb for like $5. To increase pod population, you can feed the tank more often but that kinda goes against what u wanted in the first place. Plus a healthy pair of clowns can wipe out a 10g pod population in a few days so you'll be feeding anyway.

Yeah, i had it laying around and i knew it grew other plants like crazy before so i decided to use it. It does say to only use with freshwater, i dont know why/dont care its only worth like...nothing anyway lol. Hasnt really affected the temp at all. I picked the blue led cuz i remember in biology we talked about how plants grow best with red or blue light...i guess thats not always true haha. Makes a good night light though!

If you have better lights you wanna sell, feel free to pm me! I need them cheap though haha nothing spectacular

lhof
04/29/2015, 07:57 PM
Yeah, you'll want change that fixture. I didn't even notice that in the original post.

You could go with a par38 bulb with a 120 degree spread and a diy fixture. You can find the bulbs at dealers for a little more dough but they have no-name brands on ebay for ~$40-50, maybe less. That way you'll only have about $50-60 total invested in a solid lighting option. Plus it will give the diy-er in you a task to find the perfect fixture. For that price i don't know if you can beat that option.

When I was first looking at lighting i considered this and spent a weekend looking around ikea, staples, BB&B looking for the perfect fixture but ultimately went with a manufactured led for its sleekness. If i had to go through the process again i would go with the PAR38 because it has a higher light intensity, is full spectrum and had a better spread than the option I went with.

Another plus, some par lights are dimmable with a simple $10 dimmer switch, you'll just have to check to make sure. This is a nice feature during acclimation because some corals might freak out at the intensity of the light when you first add it. Your other option is to shorten the lighting cycle but i think it's easier to tinker with a sliding dimmer to adjust lighting brightness rather than having to adjust your timer.

aadams22
04/29/2015, 08:10 PM
Is it of any electrical danger or is it just inferior?

That sounds like a good idea! I may consider it. But for the most part i was just looking for simple corals that would be ok with what ive got

aadams22
04/29/2015, 08:16 PM
Like i genuinely do want cool lights with dimmer switches etc but if im getting a bigger tank (55?)in a few years ill just be getting rid of it anyway unless i use this tank for a sump. Like clowns live 40 some years i heard, my 55 will be as low maintenance as possible so i can keep them when i have kids! Lol

lhof
04/29/2015, 08:21 PM
Can't really tell without an image. I'm picturing an old school hood like on a amphibian tank. Which could be an issue if there is salt creep.

I'll make an assumption that most of the corals that we mentioned should be okay. You just wont have as much fluorescence which is one of the cool things about looking at your tank, instead they may look brownish.

The corals will let you know if they are unhappy with the light by how they behave. For palys and zoas, if it looks like they are reaching for the light you'll need something more powerful. Hammers and frogspawn tend to balloon out a bit at their base. While other corals my not have good polyp extension.

aadams22
04/30/2015, 05:50 AM
Can't really tell without an image. I'm picturing an old school hood like on a amphibian tank. Which could be an issue if there is salt creep.

I'll make an assumption that most of the corals that we mentioned should be okay. You just wont have as much fluorescence which is one of the cool things about looking at your tank, instead they may look brownish.

The corals will let you know if they are unhappy with the light by how they behave. For palys and zoas, if it looks like they are reaching for the light you'll need something more powerful. Hammers and frogspawn tend to balloon out a bit at their base. While other corals my not have good polyp extension.

Ok, thanks for all the info! My parents have a nice led (no idea what it is) in their tank so i can always put the coral in there if it doesnt like mine

It is pretty much just a regular fish tank hood

If i turn the night light and the hood on at the same time it actually gives off a pretty nice color, mostly due to the nightlight

Paul B
04/30/2015, 06:42 AM
How awesome do you want to make it?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/Budcanandcopperband.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/Budcanandcopperband.jpg.html)

aadams22
04/30/2015, 09:54 AM
How awesome do you want to make it?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/Budcanandcopperband.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/Budcanandcopperband.jpg.html)

Not so awesome that it can support a tang! Lol. I mean i want too, but i dont have the money for that haha

ReefWreak
04/30/2015, 10:01 AM
It's a copper banded butterfly, but who's counting? :p

Paul has a very interesting reef with a very interesting history. Worth finding one of his "happy 35th+ birthday to my tank" threads and taking a look.

Paul B
04/30/2015, 10:48 AM
I did notice he said tang, but I let it slide. It's not important.

aadams22
04/30/2015, 11:47 AM
It's a copper banded butterfly, but who's counting? :p

Paul has a very interesting reef with a very interesting history. Worth finding one of his "happy 35th+ birthday to my tank" threads and taking a look.

My bad lol, i dont know **** about most marine fish still obviously. I just know that fish like that one require a much larger aquarium!

Trybltrtle
04/30/2015, 04:33 PM
When I first started I used the stock day and night leds that came with the National Geographic tank. Trust me, you'll eventually want better lights. But for now you'll be ok. Wipe down the inside of the hood to fight that salt creep, but they'll be ok for low demand coral. I even had a birds nest sps in there and growing until I was dumb and did a water change....without salt.

aadams22
04/30/2015, 05:01 PM
When I first started I used the stock day and night leds that came with the National Geographic tank. Trust me, you'll eventually want better lights. But for now you'll be ok. Wipe down the inside of the hood to fight that salt creep, but they'll be ok for low demand coral. I even had a birds nest sps in there and growing until I was dumb and did a water change....without salt.

Hahahaha sounds like something i would do! Im sorry to hear that happened to your fish! That sucks! I just got a gallon bag of chaeto today, so once my nitrates get below 5 ill start shopping for coral

Maybe i will consider an ato and new light if the tank truly remains stable and low maintenance. Ive just always liked aquariums so much i figured id be ditching this setup for a much bigger one once i get the opportunity.

But then again, im kinda liking the nano setup, 3 gallon water changes are a lot cheaper and less back breaking than 30!

Ryan2013
05/01/2015, 10:24 AM
Might I suggest a 40 breeder or a 75 for your upgrade? The added depth that comes with those tanks will give you a lot more options for your aquascape and it allows the fish to swim in more of a 3 dimensional field rather than just the back and forth that you get from the narrow 55. Equipment wise, you're looking at about the same expenditures as the 55 anyway but you're getting a much more versatile footprint.
As for lighting, you should check out the value fixtures at reef breeders or reef radiance. You could get one for now and dim it down then once you're ready to upgrade, simply add another fixture. I run 3 over my 125 and they're about the best buy for the money. You might be able to get away with just the single fixture over the 40 as well if you just up the intensity and raise it a little higher. With those lights you can grow just about anything you please.
The upfront costs will seem intimidating at first but if you stick with this amazing hobby, you'll be glad you spent a little more to do it right.

Nina51
05/01/2015, 10:30 AM
if your tank has been going a few months, you could probably support a few inverts. maybe a small serpent star or two and an urchin. there are some amazing looking urchins out there, some very colorful. unless you don't mind having shells and rubble moved around, stay away from pincushion urchins. i have 2 that are constantly hauling things around. however, my tuxedo urchin only picks up a small shell or two occasionally.

ShesEasy
05/01/2015, 11:42 AM
Wait is that serious....a budwiser can in.your reef....I love it! Great statement

Paul B
05/01/2015, 12:31 PM
Wait is that serious....a budwiser can in.your reef....I love it! Great statement

I think it's silly and adds metal to the tank. :debi:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh270/urchsearch/2014-10-22121701_zpsf288044e.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2014-10-22121701_zpsf288044e.jpg.html)

aadams22
05/01/2015, 02:10 PM
Might I suggest a 40 breeder or a 75 for your upgrade? The added depth that comes with those tanks will give you a lot more options for your aquascape and it allows the fish to swim in more of a 3 dimensional field rather than just the back and forth that you get from the narrow 55. Equipment wise, you're looking at about the same expenditures as the 55 anyway but you're getting a much more versatile footprint.

As for lighting, you should check out the value fixtures at reef breeders or reef radiance. You could get one for now and dim it down then once you're ready to upgrade, simply add another fixture. I run 3 over my 125 and they're about the best buy for the money. You might be able to get away with just the single fixture over the 40 as well if you just up the intensity and raise it a little higher. With those lights you can grow just about anything you please.

The upfront costs will seem intimidating at first but if you stick with this amazing hobby, you'll be glad you spent a little more to do it right.

Right, ive been planning on getting a more custom shaped tank, hopefully an acrylic one. I guess i shouldve mentioned that. But im certainly not going to put $1,000 worth of stuff into a walmart 1/8" glass tank

Thats a good idea you have for the lighting too! Just get one now then add them together when i upgrade...ill definitely consider that option!

Your tank is super cool :)

And urchins and brittle stars sound like a neat idea also! I dont know much about them though haha

Ryan2013
05/01/2015, 02:15 PM
Right, ive been planning on getting a more custom shaped tank, hopefully an acrylic one. I guess i shouldve mentioned that. But im certainly not going to put $1,000 worth of stuff into a walmart 1/8" glass tank

Thats a good idea you have for the lighting too! Just get one now then add them together when i upgrade...ill definitely consider that option!

Your tank is super cool :)

And urchins and brittle stars sound like a neat idea also! I dont know much about them though haha

Thanks for the complement. It's tough on a college student budget but I do what I can haha. I couldn't imagine life without having a tank going. You should put up a build thread once you get going. I always love watching the transformation when starting from scratch. :)

aadams22
05/01/2015, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the complement. It's tough on a college student budget but I do what I can haha. I couldn't imagine life without having a tank going. You should put up a build thread once you get going. I always love watching the transformation when starting from scratch. :)

Haha im on a college budget too! Thats the real reason why i dont wanna buy the lights lol [emoji14]. I do have pictures on my phone from day one up till now, i guess its never too late!

Yeah the tank was just sitting in my room from a lifetime of freshwater fish. At first i considered more freshwater. Then poison dart frogs. And then i thought hey why dont i try saltwater? Lol

Ryan2013
05/01/2015, 03:20 PM
Haha yeah I did the same thing until I saw my edge on clearance at petsmart for 75 bucks. So much better than an old scratched up 15 year old tank

aadams22
05/01/2015, 07:10 PM
Haha yeah I did the same thing until I saw my edge on clearance at petsmart for 75 bucks. So much better than an old scratched up 15 year old tank

Haha yeah i bet it was! Im just not allowed to have anything bigger than a ten gallon in my room cuz my dresser wont support it and my dad doesnt want that much water upstairs lol

Ryan2013
05/01/2015, 07:50 PM
My edge is only 6 gallons. Maybe 5 with all the rock and sand so you could get two and be at the same volume. If my RA asks it's only 1 gallon.

aadams22
05/02/2015, 03:27 PM
Haha sucks you gotta keep it in your dorm! Thats risky! After seeing your lighting it has made me reconsider. Its just that ive spent so much on this tank already hahahaha

Ryan2013
05/02/2015, 04:07 PM
Haha yeah it all seems like a lot in the beginning. Eventually you get to the point where you'll spend 50 bucks for a rainbow acan frag and tell everyone what a good deal it was. You could also check out building your own fixture

aadams22
05/02/2015, 05:00 PM
That could be fun! I suck with hand tools/mechanics but i guess i could try. Itll probably explode on me LOL.

I kinda wanted to try growing my own corals/clown fish, i thats profitable

Ryan2013
05/02/2015, 05:23 PM
It's actually a lot easier than you'd think. Check out some of the threads here on how to do it. If you use the solderless, it's just plugging in the wires. Rapid led also has a pretty good instructional video. Plus you have the satisfaction of having done it yourself.

aadams22
05/02/2015, 06:35 PM
It's actually a lot easier than you'd think. Check out some of the threads here on how to do it. If you use the solderless, it's just plugging in the wires. Rapid led also has a pretty good instructional video. Plus you have the satisfaction of having done it yourself.

Im guessing its substantially less expensive as well?

Ryan2013
05/03/2015, 09:47 AM
Well if you're talking about overall power, the value fixture is probably still cheaper.

aadams22
05/03/2015, 02:25 PM
Well if you're talking about overall power, the value fixture is probably still cheaper.

Nawww just something that grows corals and looks nice...and doesnt heat up to a billion degrees lol

Ryan2013
05/03/2015, 02:35 PM
You'd probably still be better off with the reefbreeders if you don't have a canopy on the tank. Itll look nicer to have the enclosed finished fixture. If you decide to stick with nano tanks you should check out the AI prime. It's a pretty sweet little fixture for 200 bucks and AI products are top notch.

Ryan2013
05/03/2015, 02:47 PM
Depending on how confident in your DIY skills you are, you could fashion a surround to go around the top of the tank out of a number of things. That would completely depend on your personal taste though. You could use anything from plastic to clear coated sheet metal to wood. If you gave me an idea of what you'd be looking for as far as aesthetics and material go, I could give you a hand with design.

aadams22
05/03/2015, 05:29 PM
Depending on how confident in your DIY skills you are, you could fashion a surround to go around the top of the tank out of a number of things. That would completely depend on your personal taste though. You could use anything from plastic to clear coated sheet metal to wood. If you gave me an idea of what you'd be looking for as far as aesthetics and material go, I could give you a hand with design.

That would be awesome! Ill PM you!

cherubfish pair
05/03/2015, 09:17 PM
I think it's silly and adds metal to the tank. :debi:

Yeah don't want to add metal to the tank like ferric (iron) oxide or anything.

aadams22
05/11/2015, 07:05 PM
Well guys i changed my rockscape and i have to say i think it looks much better!

I was thinking about adding a beer bottle myself to go with the budweiser backing but idk what glass is safe

I was also considering building my own hob refugium out of a 1 gallon or half gallon betta tank but im not sure what that would entail or how to accomplish the "hang on the back" part

Anyways what do y'all think? 317450