PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on online tank sellers/manufacturers?

Mizerooskie
04/20/2015, 09:04 AM
So I'm attempting to price out my desired system via online research, and I can't find a whole lot of feedback on some tank sellers and/or manufacturers I've come across online.

Does anyone have any recent experience with any of the following? I'm interested in both build quality/reliability and customer service.

Glasscages (particularly their acrylic work)
SCAquariums
Truvu Aquariums
Vivid Aquariums (appears to sell the Vizio brand)
Fish Tanks Direct (DSA and Tsunami brands)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sk8r
04/20/2015, 09:38 AM
I went with a manufacturer which does glass only, and am very happy with tank and cabinetry. Had a lot of personal contact with the company during purchase (which was from floor stock) and shipping, which was coast to coast. The glass top is glued in, with removeable glass panels, a design which makes it extremely strong and extremely heavy, considering it's 5/8ths inch glass. I feared overheat because of the canopy, since I use metal halide---but the ventilation of my MH kit fans was entirely adequate. The canopy is quite heavy---I'm still trying to figure how to raise and lower that on and off without help---but I had to order this one from a far distance without seeing one close-up, and it worked out fine. My advice is gather info from various people who've used these builds and *figure in the shipping.* It can be significant. This is before we put the live rock in. As you can see, it's tall. 105 gallons. http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/Sk8r10/tankupdate-20.jpg

jayball
04/20/2015, 09:49 AM
I have a std 90 from SCAquariums. The tank looks good and the stand is holding up well (furniture grade not the black). The Atman return pump was replaced due to noise with an ehiem and I would not mind finding a quieter skimmer pump but all in all I am happy.

Mizerooskie
04/20/2015, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It really is a menacing remote purchase. I'd probably prefer to go with a local builder, but I'm guessing that might cost me significant more than standard online models, and I want to cover all bases of information.

Canadian Reefer
07/22/2015, 12:21 AM
Has anyone bought a Tsunami tank from Fish Tanks Direct? I am considering them for their 96"x48"x30" acrylic for my in wall reef set up. I get my new house October 1 and the first thing I am doing is setting up a new build :dance:

NedFlounders
07/22/2015, 04:37 AM
Yes. I got mine from Fish Tanks Direct. Can't say that I had the best experience with them. While I am happy with my acrylic tank, the communication during the process was terrible. And some of the craftsmanship on the canopy and stand wasn't what I expected. I have a laundry list of complaints that I'd be happy to explain in a private message.

CuzzA
07/22/2015, 05:14 AM
Tsunami is a brand built by Suncoast Aquarium and Pet Supplies. They do not sell to the public and must be purchased through a distributor/fish store. Sk8r's tank was built by AquaVim (RC Sponsor).

Can you describe the tank you want? Glass or Acrylic? Dimensions? Type of drain and overflow? Knowing this would narrow your options down.

My new tank was custom built by customaquariums.com. If quality and especially price is a concern I would definitely look at them as they are about 2/3 cheaper than any other builder I got quotes from and they offer free shipping. Well, I should say, shipping is built in to the price of the tank.

Canadian Reefer
07/22/2015, 06:15 PM
Tsunami is a brand built by Suncoast Aquarium and Pet Supplies. They do not sell to the public and must be purchased through a distributor/fish store. Sk8r's tank was built by AquaVim (RC Sponsor).

Can you describe the tank you want? Glass or Acrylic? Dimensions? Type of drain and overflow? Knowing this would narrow your options down.

My new tank was custom built by customaquariums.com. If quality and especially price is a concern I would definitely look at them as they are about 2/3 cheaper than any other builder I got quotes from and they offer free shipping. Well, I should say, shipping is built in to the price of the tank.

Its 96x48x30 acrylic i want the trapezoid overflows in the back center