Tzwizzle
04/20/2015, 05:58 PM
For those of you who have had success keeping these corals I'm wondering,

1) How long you've had them?
2) What and how often you feed them?

Any info would be great

Tzwizzle
04/24/2015, 10:37 PM
Well I've got mine hung upside down in moderate flow. It usually doesn't extend polyps until dusk/evening. I get good feeding reaction with zooplankton but not phyto. Been feeding it every night. I'll keep you guys posted.

chefbill
04/30/2015, 09:59 AM
I've had mine for maybe 4 months, perhaps longer. It is hung upside down, in moderate but turbulent flow. Deep red with snow white polyps. PE mostly late in the day, yet opens randomly during the day. When I first got it, I turned off the pumps, target fed it oyster feast/ROE etc during periods of PE, then got lazy and left pumps on but still target fed. Now, perhaps every other week, I'll squirt some Oyster Feast in front of a PH and call it done. Has tripled in length, added several arms and looks great. My biocube is rather dirty though, so there might just be enough stuff in the water column to keep it healthy.

All that having been said, I bought a second one from a different LFS for my new 90g. I knew the second one had no history of PE, I had to tell the owner how to care for it, and bought it a few weeks later. I got a little PE, but they were just stalks, no fronds, if you know what I mean. Twice it released from where I hung it, then disolved into little red needles. I did try to feed it, but I'm not sure it was able to collect the food and simply starved. Maybe just not enough gunk in the water to suppliment feedings? I really don't know.

XaznKewLguyX
05/06/2015, 08:36 PM
I've had mine for 2 years. It has never grown though. I don't spot feed and only broadcast maybe once a week. Its hanging upside down under a rock and is happy with polyps out randomly.

amber3k
05/07/2015, 12:08 AM
How are you getting them to hang? I tried super glue gel and that held for a couple weeks n

Tzwizzle
05/07/2015, 07:12 PM
I have a rubberband currently holding mine up but when this breaks I was going to try using fishing line around the rock.

chefbill
05/08/2015, 03:31 PM
Super glue-epoxy putty-super glue-frag-rock. Sandwich method

chefbill
05/08/2015, 03:54 PM
I can't figure out how to edit on my phone. It should say frag super glue epoxy putty Super glue rock

Bobabooie
05/08/2015, 04:35 PM
I've had mine under a rock bridge for about 9 months now and just use zooplankton with moderate indirect flow and have seen decent growth. But mine is on the sandbed. Do they prefer to be upside down?

JoeVandal49
05/29/2015, 02:56 PM
^^ i think people place them that way because they are found that way sometimes when collected, but that's just because they grow where other corals wont.

Mine was upside down, but kept falling. Since then it just sits in full shade on a rock ledge and seems to be doing just fine.

CoralReefBoffin
05/29/2015, 05:55 PM
The species will do well in weak, to moderate indirect, lighting/PAR #s ...

However, I personally prefer to mount any/all Azoox corals in areas where photosynthetic species will not thrive.

Given the limited amount of available space, under the ideal lighting specs, our reefs/aquascapes naturally provide

CoralReefBoffin
05/29/2015, 06:02 PM
As far as feeding goes, its a heavy mixture of various zooplankton particulate/micron sizes, very similar to most other Azooxanthellate species/coral in the system proper ...

It's quite a substantial list of all the natural/live and artificial/previously bottled foodstuff I use on a daily/weekly basis.

But, if there are genuine interest amongst the group/community, I'll be happy to put together the spreadsheet document I utilize in order to check off which are fed and how