PDA

View Full Version : Tankmates for Blue Spot Jawfish

ttam
04/21/2015, 07:24 PM
What would ideal tankmates be or what you have with your BSJ right now?
Thanks

hawaiifavo
04/22/2015, 10:32 AM
This might be helpful to you - its a RC archived discussion where someone asked the same question as you in 2007:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1180398

Also for a "rough" idea on compatibility but don't take it as "the be all and end all" have a look at the Liveaquaria compatibility chart - makes for a good rough guide:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

Good luck

eatbreakfast
04/22/2015, 10:59 AM
The OP in the linked thread had specific fish already in the tank. LA compatibility chart is of limited help with BSJ as they prefer cooler water than most reef fish.

Good tankmates would include catalina gobies, hulafish, and any deepwater fish.

shred5
04/22/2015, 11:19 AM
I can tell you what not to put with jawfish.
Stay away from any Pseudochromis/dottyback.
Also any blenny or goby that burrows or lives in holes even if it is just at night..
My horned blenny just ejected my redhead jawfish from his home.

reeferstace
04/22/2015, 11:53 AM
Cooler water fish like those that TJ mentioned.

ttam
04/22/2015, 02:27 PM
I'm keeping the tank at 73-74 which I have been told and read many times that the temperature is ok for them. Current tank mates are two true percula clownfish. Still waiting for a nice yellow one to come in to my lfs

ttam
04/23/2015, 04:43 PM
I know I am hijacking my own thread but I would like to increase my sand bed depth in preparation for a jawfish(most likely a blue spot) and was wondering the best way to go about doing this. I just want to increase it in one spot of the tank that has maybe 1/2" of sand right now.
Thank you

Martini5788
04/23/2015, 06:03 PM
Maybe do a drop off of some sort? Ex make the sand really deep in 1/3 of the tank and then use rock to partition the deep part and make an interesting shelf piece to overhang on the part with a minimal sand bed.

alton
04/24/2015, 11:52 AM
Something that can eat the food that floats away from him, and is not aggressive. If not bristle worms will take over. Fish that I had that where not friendly small purple tang and diamond gobies