PDA

View Full Version : on-line orders? safe?

JimKelly12203
04/21/2015, 08:50 PM
So... i'm wondering what people's experience has been with on-line orders of livestock. Corals, fish, all of it.

I've obviously never done this. On some level, i almost trust a reputed on-line vendor more than the LFS, even the specialty one with lots of reef livestock.

It is hard not to think bad thoughts about a $50 tang or a $150 coral starter pack making its way to my NY home by airplane... At the same time i am trying to come to grips with the fact that the LFS does exactly that to obtain it's livestock...

How is the dr. foster & smith site for on-line orders? Their prices are very reasonable and their website (after much scannning) appears to paint them in a VERY legit light.

They also appear to do a lot of tank raising (which is VERY important to me).

Fish Keeper82
04/21/2015, 09:10 PM
I've ordered online several times all arrived fine fish and corals. Never had an issue. I had a couple die after about a week or so but that was my fault i didn't quarantine. I got mine from saltwater fish.com but will be trying Dr fosters next time since reefers here recommended them.
Main thing is some one is home to receive package so it don't sit in sun etc...

JimKelly12203
04/21/2015, 09:37 PM
I have scoured over many websites for this and foster & smith clearly appears to be the best (at least from an on-line review with zero transactional experience perspective). At a minimum, they present well.

Some of their clean-up crew kits seem a little poorly thought-out (100 snails plus an equal number of hermits to slaughter them all!), but overall it appears to be a reputable dealer. I'm VERY curious about what others have to say about them.

Their price and perceived quality appear to be quite good.

gone fishin
04/22/2015, 04:57 AM
I have ordered from LA/ DD many times. I would recommend them. I also have ordered from Coral Imports recently and had a great experience and would recommend them as well.

If your looking for a CUC go to Reef cleaners. I have used them many times as well.

thorden
04/22/2015, 05:05 AM
I've ordered from saltwaterfish.com a couple times. Bith times everything went smooth, nothing DOA. My horseshoe crab did die after two days. I sent them a picture through their web claim app, and 20 minutes later I had store credit back for the cost of the crab.
My opinion the most important part of ordering online is whether or not they offer the 14 day guarantee, which LA and saltwaterfish.com do.
My LFS sure doesn't offer a 14 day guarantee.

LeakyZ
04/22/2015, 05:34 AM
I too have used reef cleaners. Fast on time no doa.

fishgate
04/22/2015, 05:46 AM
It is safer to order online around here. The local stores offer NO refund at all for saltwater fish. Online from most sellers include LA there is a 30 day guarantee. Plus you always have your credit card for recourse.

james2662
04/22/2015, 06:30 AM
While I haven't ordered live stuff online other than from reefcleaners(which all arrived in good shape) I have ordered dry goods often. And I heard of Drs. Foster and Smith because my wife works as a vet tech and they use them at the office she works at for their supplies and meds etc which alot of smaller vet offices do.

JimKelly12203
04/22/2015, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the good advice all. By LA do you all mean liveaquaria.com (a subsidiary of Dr. Foster's & Smith, I believe)?

Their prices are pretty fantastic. I'm not surprised that your wife's veterinary clinic uses them James.

SecretiveFish
04/22/2015, 08:32 AM
I have generally been pretty happy with liveaquaria.com both Diver's Den and the normal website (there were two shipments that had packaging problems, but after raising our issues, the problem has since been taken care of).

Other places I have ordered from and been very happy with include vividaquariums.com, uniquecorals.com, and reefcleaners.org. Their customer service has been exceptional.

I will never order from Blue Zoo Aquatics again.

Martini5788
04/22/2015, 08:33 AM
Yes LA= live aquaria and DD= divers den, the wysiwyg part of liveaquaria. Look through the divers den qt and feeding protocols, they really do a fantastic job and customer service is great. I don't think you would be disappointed with live aquaria at all. Some people have had good luck with blue zoo, but I have not. While they did finally fix the mistake, it was after the owner was a condescending jerk and I had to pay extra for shipping 2 times because of DOA.

sleepydoc
04/22/2015, 08:36 AM
I have no personal experience, but I've heard many good things about live aquaria, especially Divers Den. Also heard good things about Bluezoo aquatics and vivid

Dmorty217
04/22/2015, 08:50 AM
LiveAquaria/DD- livestock comes from Quality Marine,DD stuff comes from QM and other suppliers. 14day guarantee and a REFUND not a credit on a future order. Free shipping over 225$

Saltwaterfish same guarantee but store credit and livestock is hit or miss. Free shipping codes with 60-100$ purchase usually

NYAquatics - 14 day, store credit. Gets in a lot of rare fish, priced very well. Livestock that I have purchased from him (7 times) has been healthy and eating the next day.

Bluezoo - 14 day, store credit. Seems to not have a lot in stock... Ever

Petco online - 14 day, store credit. Fish come from tropical fish international. Tracking numbers and shipping dates seem to be the biggest issue here.

RT distributors - air freight shipping only, not a lot of positives with those who have bought from here. Most don't trust the owner

Salty Aquaria - 14 day, store credit. Fish are caught by Rufus Kimura. Just received a Bandit and a crosshatch male from him. Bandit ate within a day couldn't be happier with the experience and will purchase from him Adrian in the future.

brianr24
04/22/2015, 08:50 AM
I haven't any personal exp. But I've seen good things about vivid aquariums.only downside is shipping to us on east coast is expensive unless you spend so much.