PDA

View Full Version : Something sticky but hardens

ShesEasy
04/21/2015, 09:30 PM
Is there anything that one can use to place frags on the rock scape, some sort of epoxy or puddy but something aquarium safe that will dry under water

I'm sick of buying frags and having to situate them with the plugs....

Hoping to take some frags off the damn plugs and glue them right to the rock scape

Thanks guys and gals

PhaneSoul
04/21/2015, 11:56 PM
j b water weld sold at autozone. I use it to epoxy rocks together. I made a scape about 2 months ago, went to put it in the tank after curing it and it fell apart... not due to the epoxy not holding though, all the epoxy joints were solid, the rocks actually broke before the epoxy..

ShesEasy
04/22/2015, 12:01 AM
Have you used that with fish or coral

I have fish in my tank so I don't want any bad ****

PhaneSoul
04/22/2015, 12:07 AM
yes, its reef safe.

A sea K
04/22/2015, 06:51 AM
Have you used that with fish or coral

I have fish in my tank so I don't want any bad ****

yes, its reef safe.

I've used it with fish and coral. Not only reef safe but also labeled as "drinking water safe" for us humans.
Keep an eye on your skimmer when you use it, epoxies will generally make your skimmer go nuts for a while.

RocketEngineer
04/22/2015, 06:59 AM
The frags are normally mounted with cyanoacrylate (aka superglue). If you squirt a decent size glob onto the bottom of the frag, you can push it onto the rock before the glue fully sets and then let it go when it no longer moves. Some folks do this outside the tank but I've done it underwater and had it work.

CStrickland
04/22/2015, 07:26 AM
There's a Jb weld with bits of metal in it to be stronger, like "exxtreme weld" or something macho, they look pretty similar. Don't get that one, just regular kind.

Jb weld isn't as sticky, but superglue doesn't get into nooks as well so some use the "sandwich" method with both. If you want to really go for it you can search for posts on that.

RockOn681
04/22/2015, 07:38 AM
+1 the sandwich method works awesome, glob of superglue on the plug, ball of epoxy, then lastly a glob of superglue. Take that and push onto where you want it in your rock work and it will stay.

scooter31707
04/22/2015, 07:51 AM
+1 on everything said ^^^^. I personally use Seachem's Reef Glue, works in the water, put a some on the base of the coral and place in the location you like and hold until the glue sets which is like 10 seconds. You have to be quick after placing the glue on the coral because it will dry very quickly.

IDreamOReefin
04/22/2015, 08:56 AM
I've heard superglue gel works well and is safe?

PhaneSoul
04/22/2015, 08:59 AM
Superglue gel works, I wouldn't say well, a small bump by a snail or something before the coral encrusts or grows into the rock dislodges the glue but it does work

Buzz1329
04/22/2015, 05:45 PM
+1 the sandwich method works awesome, glob of superglue on the plug, ball of epoxy, then lastly a glob of superglue. Take that and push onto where you want it in your rock work and it will stay.

Yep.