PDA

View Full Version : ?? 93 Cube SPS ??

creefer01
04/22/2015, 05:54 PM
Suppose you were about to start a 93 cube build centered around minimalist scape and SPS. What would you do? What equipment would you use? What lighting??

I ask because I'm tankless right now and contemplating buying a 93 cube. I have a stand that I've started to bulid with the intent of getting a 42" x 24" x 18" tank, but I can't stop looking at the 93 cube. As such, I'd modify the stand accordingly.

Items I currently have...

Apex Lite
Trigger Systems Ruby 30E
Tons of other dry goods, test kits, etc.

So, how would you equip this?? look forward to opinions.

Hentz
04/22/2015, 06:29 PM
You have a great start. 93 cube is a great size. Seeing it in person, it might actually be my next upgrade lol.

Due to the face that you're wanting SPS, I'd do straight ATI 8x36.
Do T5 or MH. If you want LED, I'd highly recommend 6x36 T5 with a radion pro in the middle.
I say this because I recently switched from Radion Pro XR15w to ATI 6x24 Dimmable. WOW what a difference, here's an example. I switched about 3 weeks ago, and look at the difference in JUST 3 weeks:
http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p764/HentzReef/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscydb2bza.jpg (http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/HentzReef/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscydb2bza.jpg.html)

I'd also do 2 Maxspect Gyre 150's OR 2 MP40's. You can get MP40's quite cheap so that might be a better option if you're trying to save money.

I'd also go for starboard.... Maybe a sandbed, but I'd have to think about that one personally. Due to the fact that you're wanting SPS and want a minimalistic look, it'll be easy to maximize your flow either way.

Bubble Magus Curve 7 Protein Skimmer would be a great choice as well.

creefer01
04/22/2015, 06:37 PM
Thanks, Hentz.

I'm working on getting an 8 x 24 powermodule right now. My old 40B rimless had a 6 x 36 sunpower and was great for that size tank. I worry a bit about the depth of the 93 cube and only T5, but I think it will work just fine. I'd love to get an LED powermodule, but that's not in the budget. I have some water storage / water change issues that I need to manage to make the new reef easier than the old.

I'd more than likely end up with MP40 and then doing a QD upgrade down the road.

By the way, your growth is impressive after the fixture change.

itzonlithai
04/22/2015, 07:36 PM
I agree with Hentz lighting suggestions. As for the controller, I'd skip the Lite if at all possible and just get the full Apex; and the skimmer, I'd run an Aquamaxx/JNS CO-2 if you have the room for it.

Hentz
04/22/2015, 07:37 PM
Thanks, Hentz.

I'm working on getting an 8 x 24 powermodule right now. My old 40B rimless had a 6 x 36 sunpower and was great for that size tank. I worry a bit about the depth of the 93 cube and only T5, but I think it will work just fine. I'd love to get an LED powermodule, but that's not in the budget. I have some water storage / water change issues that I need to manage to make the new reef easier than the old.

I'd more than likely end up with MP40 and then doing a QD upgrade down the road.

By the way, your growth is impressive after the fixture change.

Oh nice dude! That's the way to go. Yeah I think we'd all prefer the LED Powermodule haha. Just wish it wasn't so expensive! What an amazing light though.
What issues is that?
Agh good stuff. You going to do 1 or 2?

Thank you! I'm really quite impressed myself. Couldn't believe my SPS bloomed like that lol.

creefer01
04/23/2015, 04:35 AM
I have a very small area in which I can create a water change station. I need to get really creative on how to manage that. So there's the whole float switch, pumping, mixing, apex thing to figure out.

It's possible that the 93 cube deal may not work out. If it doesn't, I'm after either a DB shall 80, 60 cube, or SCA 80. All depends on what the CFO will tolerate.