PDA

View Full Version : Strong fish odor coming from water

Jyetman
04/22/2015, 09:58 PM
I have increased fish feedings six months ago trying to improve years of corals slow growth and skinny fish. Lately I been smelling strong fish odor when I come near the tank even after running carbon. All tests still showing normal ranges my zoos once didn't open now are all open but other corals acting strange some not so good. My single sided ATS has exploded with thick green growth should I be worried? Seems like get one thing fixed something else goes astray.

julie180
04/23/2015, 05:42 AM
When I had that problem, I discovered that one of my overflows was not flowing correctly. Might be worth checking into.

sfoister
04/23/2015, 05:44 AM
Sounds like something is sitting stagnant. Julie might be on the right track, I would check for standing water somewhere.

toothybugs
04/23/2015, 06:29 AM
I'm suspecting a weak skimmer with low flow and/or insufficient air getting through it.

PhaneSoul
04/23/2015, 08:11 AM
I'm suspecting a nutrient rich tank indicated by the increased algae growth and coral activity

CafeReef
04/23/2015, 08:39 AM
could run some carbon for a bit to take the smell out, if you arnt already, or if you are currently running carbon, when was the last time it was changed?

ca1ore
04/23/2015, 01:16 PM
Does the water smell all the time, or just after you feed? What are your levels - particularly nitrate and phosphate. Smelly water is typically a result of eutrophication (high nutirents), poor circulation or poor filtration.

cloak
04/23/2015, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure if this is the case here, but any leftover food that's allowed to sit on the rim of the tank for any length of time will really stink up a storm.

FWIW, a friend of mine had a beautiful tank one time, but when it came down to doing some minor housekeeping around the tank he was a slob. Food everywhere it seemed. (rim, glass divider etc)