PDA

View Full Version : Kuekenthals shrimp in NPS reef

Keoki18
04/23/2015, 10:59 AM
I was wondering if anyone has kept this species in a NPS reef tank (Lysmata kuekenthali). I have a 20 gallon system with mostly NPS corals (some PS gorgonians as well). I am having a problem with aptasia due to all the food I have to feed out. I can kill the guys I see, but I have many shelves that I cannot reach. Someone suggested this species.

I know many will say go with peppermint shrimp, but here's the kicker. The species must be from the pacific. Better if its localized around the Philippians.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

noy
04/24/2015, 06:00 PM
I was wondering if anyone has kept this species in a NPS reef tank (Lysmata kuekenthali). I have a 20 gallon system with mostly NPS corals (some PS gorgonians as well). I am having a problem with aptasia due to all the food I have to feed out. I can kill the guys I see, but I have many shelves that I cannot reach. Someone suggested this species.

I know many will say go with peppermint shrimp, but here's the kicker. The species must be from the pacific. Better if its localized around the Philippians.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I think using shrimps (incl. peppermint) to control aiptaisia is a flawed strategy in an nps tank. The abundance of food usually means any shrimps will go after the food first and in my experience will leave the aiptasia alone.

Bongo Shrimp
04/25/2015, 01:58 PM
I think using shrimps (incl. peppermint) to control aiptaisia is a flawed strategy in an nps tank. The abundance of food usually means any shrimps will go after the food first and in my experience will leave the aiptasia alone.

Definitely agree. I have used peppermint shrimp successfully to get rid of aptasia many times but it will only work if you don't feed the shrimp. Aptasia is not their first choice in foods.

Keoki18
04/27/2015, 03:15 PM
Are there any suggestions that you would recommend? I am at my wits end with the prolific breeding of these pests. I have never had such a problem with them before.

Last week I cut down on feeding, but saw severe polyp retention in my Gorgonians and Dendros. Tubastrea seems to be doing well at fending them off except for my T. micranthus.

Thoughts?

Bongo Shrimp
04/27/2015, 03:58 PM
If it's a bad enough infestation, I would suggest getting several berghia nudibranchs and cover your intakes with mesh until they complete the job.

noy
04/27/2015, 05:44 PM
aiptasia thrive in an nps environment - they eat the same foods as what you feed the nps and if that's not bad enough they derive energy from light.

Not sure how bad your infestation is but you might want to start with aiptasia X. that stuff is pretty effective but you have to be careful about spillage (I took out 2 years worth of growth of a meteor show cythestrea once).

Berghia are very effective but expensive. For a 100 gallon tank you will probably need 5-6.

Keoki18
04/28/2015, 07:05 AM
I have access to lab grade calcium hydroxide which I make a paste and smother them. It is essentially aptasia x. Problem is I can't reach under the shelves.

Good point about the photosynthesis they can perform. Because they are under the shelves, they are pale and thin, but in my observations, far more veracious now.

Berghia's were going to be my next thought. Any good vendors?

teemee
04/28/2015, 10:10 AM
I have several types of shrimp, including Kuekenthals, in my NPS system, and i've never seen them touch the aiptasia.

Keoki18
04/28/2015, 10:15 AM
Thanks teemee. I might put two in just for some movement, but I'm starting to get that shrimps are not the route to go.

noy
04/28/2015, 03:48 PM
sounds like you know what you are doing with kalk paste - just be careful as it can bring about a major ph swing.

the one thing i noticed about aiptasia X is that you can squirt it on exposed tentacles and the aiptasia will gather it in like food. not sure if they do that with kalk paste (vs. simply retract).

one strategy i've used is that i will put a piece of putty/epoxy and some glue and smother the aiptasia in. The putty needs to be a flat piece and cover off the area where the aiptasia is. this may not kill them but it will force them to move. This will work for a few isolated hard to reach ones.

noy
04/28/2015, 03:53 PM
As for Berghia - i was going to do a group order for salty underground and spoke with them a few times. i was impressed with their knowledge. i ended up not doing it as there was a cheaper canadian vendor (where i am). They need to be acclimated like any invert (thats key, otherwise they may die before doing anything).

Keoki18
04/29/2015, 11:30 AM
Sounds good.

Thanks for all the information.