PDA

View Full Version : Need ATO recs for Reefkeeper Elite...What do i need

AUFishGuy
04/23/2015, 02:37 PM
So I am upgrading to a bigger tank and a sump and plan to finally have an ATO system. My reefkeeper elite arrives tomorrow and i have never used a reef controller. Please provide recs for what is needed. Would like to have something reliable but at a reasonable price point.

I know i need a pump. I know i need a float switch kit...Which one? and then what module will i need for the reefkeeper to run switches and pump.

Thank in Advance

AUFishGuy
04/24/2015, 07:08 AM
bump

dabob79
04/24/2015, 12:17 PM
The reefkeeper elite should come with the module you need (RKM-SL1), so all you need is a couple float switches and an aqualifter pump, it's pretty simple.

DaveMorris
04/24/2015, 12:41 PM
Not all Reefkeeper Elite systems automatically come with an SL1. Assuming it does, the SL1 has two switch ports on it. You will need a float switch of some type and a small pump. I would recommend this switch from Avast Marine:

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/rigging/Top-off-Kit

It is their top off kit and has no moving parts in the water. I use one and it works great.

solitude127
04/24/2015, 12:58 PM
Not all Reefkeeper Elite systems automatically come with an SL1. Assuming it does, the SL1 has two switch ports on it. You will need a float switch of some type and a small pump. I would recommend this switch from Avast Marine:

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/rigging/Top-off-Kit

It is their top off kit and has no moving parts in the water. I use one and it works great.

+1 on the Avast Marine ATO. There are no float sensors to get stuck.

AUFishGuy
04/24/2015, 01:23 PM
+1 on the Avast Marine ATO. There are no float sensors to get stuck.

SO question about the system linked above. It shows a list of compatible controllers and i do not see reefkeeper listed. Will this in fact work with the reefkeeper. Also in the picture i see a power outlet. What is that for i thought the pump would be plugged into an outlet that is run by the reefkeeper.

Sorry for the questions if they are elementary but i am new to a controller so i am kind of swimming blind here

solitude127
04/24/2015, 02:26 PM
SO question about the system linked above. It shows a list of compatible controllers and i do not see reefkeeper listed. Will this in fact work with the reefkeeper. Also in the picture i see a power outlet. What is that for i thought the pump would be plugged into an outlet that is run by the reefkeeper.

Sorry for the questions if they are elementary but i am new to a controller so i am kind of swimming blind here

There are drop downs at the end of the page for the ATO and ReefKeeper is an option. It's a plug that will directly plug into the SL1. When the SL1 is plugged into the controller, it can be programmed to tell an outlet to turn on/off(ATO pump). If you buy the version that hooks into a controller, there is no outlet because you'll be using the outlet on your controller. HTHs and keep asking questions. The more you know, the better decisions you can make.

AUFishGuy
04/24/2015, 02:41 PM
There are drop downs at the end of the page for the ATO and ReefKeeper is an option. It's a plug that will directly plug into the SL1. When the SL1 is plugged into the controller, it can be programmed to tell an outlet to turn on/off(ATO pump). If you buy the version that hooks into a controller, there is no outlet because you'll be using the outlet on your controller. HTHs and keep asking questions. The more you know, the better decisions you can make.

Awesome thanks for the info. I just got the reefkeeper and it came with the SLX instead of the SL1. From a quick google search it seems that it is a better module than the SL1. from what i can see there are 2 ports for float switches, why would you need 2?

solitude127
04/24/2015, 02:44 PM
Awesome thanks for the info. I just got the reefkeeper and it came with the SLX instead of the SL1. From a quick google search it seems that it is a better module than the SL1. from what i can see there are 2 ports for float switches, why would you need 2?
1 switch for activation of the ATO pump and the other can be a backup float. If the main switch fails and the water level gets to the backup switch, that can turn off the ato pump as well

AUFishGuy
04/24/2015, 02:58 PM
1 switch for activation of the ATO pump and the other can be a backup float. If the main switch fails and the water level gets to the backup switch, that can turn off the ato pump as well

Gotcha. Thanks again, to everyone above. I have all of my equipment for my new 90 gallon so now this weekend all I have to do is get it all put together and set up. Hope it is easy as it sounds. Wish me luck

solitude127
04/24/2015, 03:02 PM
The programming for the ato might be the toughest part. GL

n2585722
04/25/2015, 04:15 AM
See the DA forum for programming at http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/.