PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Dwarf Flame Angel

mrkrsll
04/23/2015, 03:50 PM
I have a 20 gallon long that I would like to add a Dwarf Flame Angel.
Currently the tank has a Ocellaris Clownfish, Blue Chromis, 5 blue leg hermits, 5 Florida red hermits and 3 turbo snails.
I also have a couple green star polyp frags and 20lbs of live rock.
Does the tank seem to crowded to add the dwarf angel?

steventaylor702
04/23/2015, 03:53 PM
No you should be good to add it to the tank. Be aware that they can sometimes have an appetite for sps corals and other corals so keep that in mind and they are also the hardest fish I have ever tried to catch in a tank I had to pull all my rock out to catch mine after I caught it munching on some corals

billdogg
04/23/2015, 03:55 PM
IMHO, that tank is too small for a flame angel. They get very territorial and need more swimming space. Consider something in the goby or blennie families.

from liveaquaria:

QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 70 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: With Caution
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 4"
Color Form: Blue, Orange, Yellow
Diet: Omnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Christmas Island, Marshall Islands, Tahiti, Vanuatu, Western Pacific
Family: Pomacanthidae

Cujo13
04/23/2015, 04:14 PM
IMHO, that tank is too small for a flame angel. They get very territorial and need more swimming space. Consider something in the goby or blennie families.

from liveaquaria:

QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 70 gallons
Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: With Caution
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 4"
Color Form: Blue, Orange, Yellow
Diet: Omnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Christmas Island, Marshall Islands, Tahiti, Vanuatu, Western Pacific
Family: Pomacanthidae

+1. You would have major issues.

albano
04/23/2015, 04:42 PM

+1... IMO, no angels or tangs in a 20g

mrkrsll
04/23/2015, 06:32 PM
I am a bit confused then. Is there a difference between a regular flame angel and a dwarf flame angel?

I have seen sites that have posted that minimum tank size for them around 70 gallons, but with no reference to them being "dwarf"
Then have seen other sites that claim 30 gallon is sufficent with a reference to dwarf.

Below is from a site called fishlore...

I'm looking for a fish where the reds really stand out similar to the flame angel. Does anyone have any suggestion for a 20 gallon?

Scientific Name : Centropyge loricula

Common Names : Dwarf Flame Angelfish, Dwarf Angel, Flame Angel

Flame Angelfish Care Level : Easy to Moderate, acclimate this fish slowly to your tank.

Size : Up to 4 inches (10 cm)

Life span : 5 - 7 years or longer

pH : 8.1 - 8.4

Temperature : 75°F - 80°F (25°C - 27°C)

Specific Gravity : 1.020 - 1.025

Carbonate Hardness (dKH) : 8 - 12°

Origin / Habitat : South Pacific and Western Pacific, Hawaii, Australia, Coral Sea, Great Barrier Reef, Christmas Islands

Flame Angel Temperament / Behavior : May become territorial and aggressive towards other dwarf angelfish and may even bully other, smaller tank mates. You may have better luck introducing them last into the tank.

Breeding : It's very difficult to breed them and there are very few reported sucesses of breeding in an aquarium.

Aquarium Size : 30 gallon (114 liters) minimum for one dwarf flame angel, much larger if you plan on keeping multiples.

Compatible Tank Mates : Avoid keeping them with larger eels, lionfish or any fish large enough to eat them. Keeping them in a reef tank seems to be hit or miss, use caution.

Fish Disease : Saltwater Fish Disease - Diagnose, Symptoms and Treatment. A quarantine tank is a must.

Diet / Foods : Omnivorous, but try to give them a balanced diet of algae and meaty marine foods. They should accept vitamin enriched flake foods, frozen and live foods. Having live rock is a good idea because of the food it can provide in between meals.

Tank Region : All over the tank.

Gender : It can be very difficult to determine any external differences between male and female flame angel fish. Males might be larger and slightly more colorful.

Author : Mike FishLore

thegrun
04/23/2015, 06:47 PM
All Flame angels are dwarf angels. I had one in a 50 gallon system and it got VERY aggressive even in a 50, no way should you place any angel in a 20.

mrkrsll
04/23/2015, 06:56 PM
All Flame angels are dwarf angels. I had one in a 50 gallon system and it got VERY aggressive even in a 50, no way should you place any angel in a 20.

Yeah, I got that. Thanks :)

mrkrsll
04/23/2015, 06:57 PM
I'm looking for a fish where the reds really stand out similar to the flame angel. Does anyone have any suggestion for a 20 gallon?

thegrun
04/23/2015, 07:17 PM
Some of the Flasher Wrasses have a lot of reds and oranges in them.

CafeReef
04/23/2015, 07:20 PM
Red or Purple Firefish, Maroon Clownfish, tanaka pygmy wrasse, possum wrasse

mrkrsll
04/23/2015, 07:23 PM
Thanks!!!!

Cujo13
04/23/2015, 08:01 PM
Red or Purple Firefish, Maroon Clownfish, tanaka pygmy wrasse, possum wrasse

I would not add a Maroon Clownfish. Much more aggressive than your Ocellaris Clown and would not fair well together. Maybe one of the Clown Gobies?

CafeReef
04/23/2015, 08:13 PM
I would not add a Maroon Clownfish. Much more aggressive than your Ocellaris Clown and would not fair well together. Maybe one of the Clown Gobies?

+1 valid point, I did not see that you already had an OC Clown. The Wrasse's would be good options for reds

3dees
04/24/2015, 10:34 AM
flame hawkfish, but say goodbye to the hermits. you don't need those evil creatures anyway. mine doesn't bother my snails or shrimp.

dbl
04/24/2015, 12:59 PM
Wife wanted a red fish, and specifically a Flame Angel, just like the sushi place has. I told wife her new colony of Rasta's could be in jeopardy. She told me she wanted a red fish and her Rasta's. Wife gets what she wants, so we just got a Flame Hawkfish. She named it Tony (as in Tony Hawk) because she names all our fish! Great little citizen so far.

albano
04/24/2015, 01:05 PM
Great little citizen so far...

The wife?

dbl
04/24/2015, 01:26 PM
Wife has been around for 28 years, and yes, she's been a great citizen so far!

GilliganReef
04/24/2015, 02:07 PM
flame hawkfish, but say goodbye to the hermits. you don't need those evil creatures anyway. mine doesn't bother my snails or shrimp.

I had a flame hawkfish in 30 gallon 10 years ago and had no issues with it attacking hermits or shrimps.

lifeoffaith
04/24/2015, 02:24 PM
Plus one on the flame hawkfish. Don't do the Flame Angel. Liveaquaria quite often will give higher numbers than others, but most times more accurate numbers too. Flame angels are known to get quite agressive and will likely stress the rest of your fish.