PDA

View Full Version : red slime :-((((

djniii
04/24/2015, 10:32 AM
Hey guys so im really new to the hobby but i went all in i am experienced with fresh water but the salt water critters are way to damn cool so i couldn't stay away. I went all in getting a 55 gal with sump protien skimmer and everything, i havnt even gotten an ammonia reading or nitrites or nitrate but redslime is already getting ready to take over, i shut off my light for the last 4 days and yesterday i put it on for maybe 4 hours and the bacteria spred like no tomrowo Idk what to do, i was given file fish and a clown fish and a domino damsel also i have a mantis shrimp that hitched hiked on a peice of live rock i purchased.:mad:

gone fishin
04/24/2015, 10:44 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

The link may be of some use to you. It basically a book. There is a section on cyano.

since you got fish already I will assume you cycled the tank already. The cyano may just be part of your new tank and may go away on its own. It is highly possible the domino damsel will get pretty aggressive as it matures. I would remove the mantis from the tank, IMO they need their own tank. Good luck

Kyle461
04/24/2015, 10:46 AM
Suck out the cyano when doing water changes along with keeping the lights to a minimum.

How old is your tank? Has it cycled?

djniii
04/24/2015, 10:49 AM
but the tank hasnt cycled yet so some one told me to put fish in to speed it up its about 2 1/2 weeks old

Kyle461
04/24/2015, 10:53 AM
While that's true it is cruel to the fish. Once ammonia levels start to climb it can hurt them, especially since you have multiple fish.

If you can, you should put the fish in a separate QT tank and perform multiple water changes to keep the ammonia down. They can hang there while your main tank cycles and this may take 4-whatever weeks.

sidewinder2180
04/24/2015, 10:55 AM
Forget the cyano get the Mantis out of there before he kills your fish or hits and breaks the tank. The cyano may go away on its own but you can help by vacuuming and turning the lights off.

lifeoffaith
04/24/2015, 10:58 AM
Adding the fish is a bad idea this early, if you have another tank that you can just keep up with water changes to let your display cycle, do that. The Mantis has got to go.

gone fishin
04/24/2015, 11:16 AM
If possible remove the livestock and return them. Then read the link I posted it will help you figure how you want to cycle your tank. If removal is not an option then I would suggest having plenty of water on hand for water changes and a seachem ammonia alert badge.

If you can set up a quarantine tank you will be in a similar position. you will need some water on hand for water changes. Just my 2 cents worth.

djniii
04/24/2015, 11:49 AM
how should i get this mantis out btw i have only seen it out of the rock once hes only about an inch long right now

Kyle461
04/24/2015, 12:14 PM
Check out this thread for catching the mantis

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1710644

sidewinder2180
04/24/2015, 02:08 PM
Check out this thread for catching the mantis

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1710644
+1. Plus what kind is he? The Mantis that is. If you can and want too. You can put him in his own tank. They are really cool to watch! And some very colorful. Or give him/ sell him to a lfs and if you want to keep him get an Acrylic tank for him. Oh and I forgot for the cyano water changes as well as vacuum and less light. Is the tank cycled?