PDA

View Full Version : T5 vs led to supplement

gablett
04/24/2015, 11:14 AM
So I have 3x 250 watt radiums in lumenbrite reflectors over my 220 72x24x30. I wanted to supplement with some blue for sunrise/sunset and also add a little blue to the light as on hqi ballasts the radiums are pretty white. So I added 2 48" actinic stunner strips about 12" off the water on the light rack. Not real impressed. Pretty dim and totally unnoticeable with the mh on. So I'm thinking of doing 2 60" ati blue plus t5s attached to the light rack or 2 60" vhos. I'm wondering if you guys can help to let me know if those will even be brighter than the stunner strips and which one will b the best option. Thanks!

zachts
04/24/2015, 07:14 PM
You cannot beat two 60" VHO actinics for that extra pop! hands down T5 will not compare.

On the otherhand BuildmyLED strips are very nice as well and will knock the socks off the stunner strips and come close to the same level of output as 60" VHO (benifit in the LEDs is you can get a more blue mixture using a custom strip and still get that extra actinic pop from 420nm LEDs) also dimmable for moon lighting (well sort of still would be really bright, but compatable with apex and many other controllers or manual dimming) You don't get that with VHO unless you wan't my old solar 750 dimmer? I think it still works with the coralvue ballasts or get a second hand icecap.......give you a good deal on it :D )

You would likely only need one of the 72 or so inch BML strips at the front angled backwards and it WOULD make a difference unlike the stunners.

VHO can't be beat (yet) for that extra pop, but the BML comes close and bonus, never replace a bulb.......

gablett
04/24/2015, 09:16 PM
You cannot beat two 60" VHO actinics for that extra pop! hands down T5 will not compare.

On the otherhand BuildmyLED strips are very nice as well and will knock the socks off the stunner strips and come close to the same level of output as 60" VHO (benifit in the LEDs is you can get a more blue mixture using a custom strip and still get that extra actinic pop from 420nm LEDs) also dimmable for moon lighting (well sort of still would be really bright, but compatable with apex and many other controllers or manual dimming) You don't get that with VHO unless you wan't my old solar 750 dimmer? I think it still works with the coralvue ballasts or get a second hand icecap.......give you a good deal on it :D )

You would likely only need one of the 72 or so inch BML strips at the front angled backwards and it WOULD make a difference unlike the stunners.

VHO can't be beat (yet) for that extra pop, but the BML comes close and bonus, never replace a bulb.......

Interesting. What would you recommend from the LEDs place for a 6' tank 30" deep solely for actinic supplementation?

zachts
04/24/2015, 10:20 PM
Interesting. What would you recommend from the LEDs place for a 6' tank 30" deep solely for actinic supplementation?

Given the radium MH which are all around great spectrum to begin with I'd lean towards doing a mix that works out to a ratio of 2x420nm, 1x405nm, 1xroyal blue, 1x blue. which fits thier board layout nicely and will give a slightly bluer look than a pure VHO actinic.

gablett
04/27/2015, 06:17 AM
Given the radium MH which are all around great spectrum to begin with I'd lean towards doing a mix that works out to a ratio of 2x420nm, 1x405nm, 1xroyal blue, 1x blue. which fits thier board layout nicely and will give a slightly bluer look than a pure VHO actinic.

After looking at lots of pictures, I went old school with 2 60" VHO Super Actinic bulbs.