PDA

View Full Version : GSP on the rim doesnt look so good to me..?

Shinte305
04/24/2015, 02:07 PM
Its been in tank for exactly a week today. I placed them up high for now because LFS told me too but reading around I'm going to buy a small rock and place it by the bottom isolated. This is my very first coral ever lol and a little worried about the rim if you can see by the picture most are happy and out but the ones on the the rim closest to the big polyps are all looking burned/unhappy is this normal maybe due to new lighting? Parameters are all 0 ph 8.0 expect nitrates at 20ppm going to do a water change today to lower that. Tank is 7 months old on the dot.

Zer0.
04/24/2015, 02:14 PM
Its been in tank for exactly a week today. I placed them up high for now because LFS told me too but reading around I'm going to buy a small rock and place it by the bottom isolated. This is my very first coral ever lol and a little worried about the rim if you can see by the picture most are happy and out but the ones on the the rim closest to the big polyps are all looking burned/unhappy is this normal maybe due to new lighting? Parameters are all 0 ph 8.0 expect nitrates at 20ppm going to do a water change today to lower that. Tank is 7 months old on the dot.

no pictrure. and you dont give details such as what kind of light they are under, or basics such as alk or calcium (I assume these arent some of your 0 params lol) not that those levels matter to critically for soft coral.

Shinte305
04/24/2015, 02:16 PM
This is a picture of the gsp. If you notice its just the ones on the rim

AZRippster
04/24/2015, 02:23 PM
Looks like there is aptasia mixed in with it ****ing it off.

Shinte305
04/24/2015, 02:30 PM
Aptasia where??!!

Shinte305
04/24/2015, 02:43 PM
Just did the tests and i got calcium at 360ppm and dkh at 11

Newsmyrna80
04/24/2015, 05:27 PM
Not aiptasia...those are palyos. Could be they (palyo toxin) are ticking off the GSP but the polyps on the edge are new. It looks like they are spreading. It'll be a pain but you may want to get rid of the palyos.

B.BASH
04/24/2015, 05:29 PM
FYI look closely at the top rt of the colony.The polyps could be some kind of palyzoa not the best pic. however probably stinging the gps

B.BASH
04/24/2015, 05:31 PM
Be careful if you plan to remove them they are very toxic

Shinte305
04/24/2015, 05:33 PM
The gsp is really what I want if the polyps are stinging them than how do I remove those polyps do I just gently pull them out?

m0nkie
04/24/2015, 05:44 PM
The gsp is really what I want if the polyps are stinging them than how do I remove those polyps do I just gently pull them out?

The gsp and polyp are 2 different corals so some fighting is expected. they are super hardy so dont worry. The touching edges might not be super happy but they will grow in all other sides.

Dont pull it!

If u want, you can buy a fragging kit and cut the polyps off from the base. peel it off the attached surface. Gsp is easy to frag, just cut the purple mat. Put some space between them. You will have to do this once in awhile. They grow very fast in the right condition. You can pass on the new frags to new reefers

Wear protective eye gears and gloves when fraggin. zoa paly toxin is no joke. I fragged for a few hours and my hand was itching for 2 days..i watch some youtube videos before attempting to frag.

Shinte305
04/24/2015, 05:50 PM
As for the fragging can that be done with the rock inside the tank? If anything I'm going to look into separating them

m0nkie
04/24/2015, 05:53 PM
As for the fragging can that be done with the rock inside the tank? If anything I'm going to look into separating them

Could.. just alot harder. Messy too which might **** off everything else. They will release a bunch of toxin goo into the tank, which could do damage if tank is small enough. So run some carbon after and water change

GhostCon1
04/24/2015, 06:02 PM
Could.. just alot harder. Messy too which might **** off everything else. They will release a bunch of toxin goo into the tank, which could do damage if tank is small enough. So run some carbon after and water change

Palytoxin is inert in saltwater. I'm trying to find the article, but having no luck at this time. That said, if you have any type of cut on your skin, even something minuscule, and it gets inside, you'll be hurting.

Shinte305
04/24/2015, 07:24 PM
Well not sure if to start new thread but my calcium is at 340 by what ive been reading i should raise that but i do a weekly water change of about 15% maybe slightly more.. I use instant ocean and i only have that one fragment of corals not sure if thats okay or should i look into a way of increasing calcium?

m0nkie
04/24/2015, 07:40 PM
ok for what you have. alk is a tad high but ok too. the key is keep it stable. no rapid up or downs.