PDA

View Full Version : CONTINUOUS water changing system

skimjim
04/24/2015, 11:44 PM
After reading about Neptune's newest gadget, the Apex DOS dosing pump, which has two pumps in a single device..... it talks about using it as a continuous water changing system where one pump, pumps OUT water at a certain rate.....and the second pump, pumps IN freshly made SW being held in a container. And this is all done continuous 24/7.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/dos/

This idea of a continuous water changing system is fascinating to me.

I wonder if one could do the same thing using small pumps the force both OUT and IN saltwater thru a 1/4in waterline (?). Either have each end with drip valves..... or run them effluent and controlled by Apex with manual on/off commands.

Has anyone devised a continuous water changing system? Please share...

CStrickland
04/25/2015, 12:20 AM
Idk if I would trust two pumps to stay tuned, I guess it's not more dangerous than a lot of stuff we do.

I think about it too, was imagining like a skimmate tube into a reservoir that floats inside a reservoir of fresh salt water. As the top one filled with skimmate it would sink into the fresh water and displace it. That displaced water would gravity feed into the sump, so however much sw the skim mate took out would just be replaced all the time. You could skim wet and it would be a steady WC, and not much extra work than dumping the skimmer collection thing anyway. Not as fancy as an apex but funner to build :)

Pife
04/25/2015, 05:50 AM
There are hundreds of threads on here about this. Dual head peristaltic pumps are the way to go on this. IMHO.

rgulrich
04/25/2015, 05:51 AM
Lots of folks use the Spectrapure LiterMeter III for this purpose, along with an ATO function. You just need to calibrate the pumps at setup (pretty quick and easy); I check the calibration about once a year.
Here's how I customized Spectrapure's instructions to include the Auto Top Off module along with the Liter Meter III and and an additional pump.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7947&pictureid=54016
These pumps have a pretty amazing head, and can pull water pretty darn far as well. Mine has worked pretty much flawlessly with basic maintenance for about eight years now, and has pulled/pushed water through the 1/4" RO-type tubing the length of the basement.

Two rupee' worth.

Cheers,
Ray

Pife
04/25/2015, 05:51 AM
Idk if I would trust two pumps to stay tuned, I guess it's not more dangerous than a lot of stuff we do.

I think about it too, was imagining like a skimmate tube into a reservoir that floats inside a reservoir of fresh salt water. As the top one filled with skimmate it would sink into the fresh water and displace it. That displaced water would gravity feed into the sump, so however much sw the skim mate took out would just be replaced all the time. You could skim wet and it would be a steady WC, and not much extra work than dumping the skimmer collection thing anyway. Not as fancy as an apex but funner to build :)

I would bet that the salinity of skimmate is different than your water.