PDA

View Full Version : Reefbreeders Photon 48 Time keeps on slippin'

Big_Boss_77
04/25/2015, 01:09 AM
Well...I'm not really sure how to word this, that may be why my research turned up a goose egg. So here goes...

It appears that my photon 48 is "loosing time", the clock on the interface says it is 01:29 and it's 0206...is there a CMOS battery I need to replace or is this just an oscillation issue that I'll have to deal with from now on? I've noticed this happen once before but I didn't think anything of it due to a few power fluctuations due to a roving band of thunderstorms. Any advice anyone has would be much appreciated!

Baring any correct advice, I'll have to go with Mulder's theory that my lights have, in fact, been abducted by aliens...

Reef_Breeders
04/26/2015, 11:30 AM
Hi,

It sounds like an issue with the controller. The controllers are easy to replace, so if you would like you can contact us through the site or via email and we can replace the controller or do the repair in our shop.

Big_Boss_77
04/28/2015, 10:46 AM
Hi,

It sounds like an issue with the controller. The controllers are easy to replace, so if you would like you can contact us through the site or via email and we can replace the controller or do the repair in our shop.
I'll keep an eye on it for now, it hasn't slipped since I posted this. If I can isolate the cause to be on my end, I won't hassle with a warranty claim. Let me trouble shoot it a bit first and get back to you. Thanks for the response though!

Reef_Breeders
05/01/2015, 11:01 AM
Okay, if it starts acting up again let me know and we will get it fixed right away.

ca1ore
05/07/2015, 05:22 PM
I had all sorts of problems with the controllers clock running at slightly different speeds. Since I linked my two its not been an issue, but it used to drive me nuts that a few days after painstakingly synching the two clocks, they'd be out of synch again.

Big_Boss_77
05/13/2015, 10:17 PM
Okay, if it starts acting up again let me know and we will get it fixed right away.

I had all sorts of problems with the controllers clock running at slightly different speeds. Since I linked my two its not been an issue, but it used to drive me nuts that a few days after painstakingly synching the two clocks, they'd be out of synch again.
UPDATE: When I first posted this thread was the last time I had to adjust the time. This leads me to believe that the lost time was merely a by-product of the power fluctuations from the band of thunderstorms. Seeing as how there haven't been any close calls recently, and no time loss, I conclude that the light was in no way at fault.

Excellent product and customer service. Will be back in a (hopefully) few weeks when I upgrade to a bigger tank!

Ca10re, if you've got the time (forgive the pun) could you give me your opinion on the link cable? Assuming you used the Reef Breeders one.

ca1ore
05/14/2015, 06:12 PM
My linking cable is one I made myself based on instructions from another RC member. It works perfectly, even if it's a tad scruffy looking.

jaketuff
06/14/2015, 07:53 PM
Mine has started lagging time as well. Necessitating a rescheduling of lighting program. I'm down in White Plains... wha t is the easiest way to remedy the module?

Thank you.

Reef_Breeders
06/21/2015, 07:41 PM
Mine has started lagging time as well. Necessitating a rescheduling of lighting program. I'm down in White Plains... wha t is the easiest way to remedy the module?

Thank you.

Send us an email and we can get started on sending a new controller.

bjbass
07/07/2015, 03:48 PM
I have been running mine for a few months but not had a clock problem yet. However I think I have a bad controller too. I went to take off the 90 degree optics and when removing the front two cables the white pieces they snap into pulled off the controller board. Like the pins in them came out of one and the other two stayed in and one came out. I think the soldering might have been bad on the board?

tmz
07/11/2015, 05:59 PM
Hi, I have a photon 48. The operators manual has been misplaced. Is there one available on line somewhere ? I looked but couldn't find one.

Reef_Breeders
07/12/2015, 09:23 PM
Yes, it can be downloaded from our FAQ (https://www.reefbreeders.com/faq/)

tmz
07/12/2015, 10:36 PM
Thanks Logan . Nice video.

A question: I know the FAQ sheet recommends starting at 30% intensity. However, I'm going to use it to replace 2 175 w metal halides and 2 110 vho actinic lights which have been on a 90 gallon lps dominant tank with a few sps (montis, seriatopora and pocillipora) for years. Some folks I know using leds of comparable wattage say start at 50 to 60% ;any advice. I'm interested in switching over and coming close to maintaining the lighting levels the corals in that tank are used to.

Reef_Breeders
07/14/2015, 01:05 PM
Thanks Logan . Nice video.

A question: I know the FAQ sheet recommends starting at 30% intensity. However, I'm going to use it to replace 2 175 w metal halides and 2 110 vho actinic lights which have been on a 90 gallon lps dominant tank with a few sps (montis, seriatopora and pocillipora) for years. Some folks I know using leds of comparable wattage say start at 50 to 60% ;any advice. I'm interested in switching over and coming close to maintaining the lighting levels the corals in that tank are used to.

If the bulbs are relatively new, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to start out a bit higher at 50% power, just keep an eye on your corals and see how they react.

tmz
07/14/2015, 02:55 PM
Thanks, They're a year old , I'll go with 40% and adjust over time.