PDA

View Full Version : C2C for Eurobraced tank?

dirtycontour
04/26/2015, 06:48 AM
I'm trying to figure out my overflow box for my new tank. Holes are already drilled for a BA. Problem is half of the back panel is Eurobraced. The bracing is 2.75" wide. I'm not sure if I should make the box deep enough to silicone into place or just go with half a box. Suggestions?

thegrun
04/26/2015, 09:46 PM
My eurobracing is 3" wide, I made my coast to coast stick out off the back wall 1-1/2" and it is 4" all and sits 3/8" below the eurobrace. The coast to coast stops 6" short of each side, so it's 36" long inside a 48" wide tank. I cut 3/16" wide slots for the teeth 3/4" deep. I used silicone to adhere the coast to coast to the tank and then used three 1" bulkheads to transfer and hold together water to the behind the tank overflow box.

dirtycontour
04/27/2015, 07:08 AM
My eurobracing is 3" wide, I made my coast to coast stick out off the back wall 1-1/2" and it is 4" all and sits 3/8" below the eurobrace. The coast to coast stops 6" short of each side, so it's 36" long inside a 48" wide tank. I cut 3/16" wide slots for the teeth 3/4" deep. I used silicone to adhere the coast to coast to the tank and then used three 1" bulkheads to transfer and hold together water to the behind the tank overflow box.

My issue is getting a seal inside the box with the bracing in the way. If I make the "L" first, it will be tough to get a seal inside the horizontal piece to the back panel of the tank. If I silicone it piece by piece, it will be tough to get a seal inside the box where the vertical and horizontal make contact...I hope I explained correctly.

uncleof6
04/29/2015, 04:03 AM
Insufficient information. Tank material, box material, drain configuration... BA does not say much anymore, as too many are coming up with their own ideas on the BA...

dirtycontour
04/29/2015, 07:00 AM
Insufficient information. Tank material, box material, drain configuration... BA does not say much anymore, as too many are coming up with their own ideas on the BA...

Sorry, the tank is made of 1/2" glass. The box will be 1/4" glass. The BA will be set up "as designed". Three holes for one inch bulkheads are already drilled.

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y430/dirtycontour/image1_zpsngylsmkg.jpg

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/y430/dirtycontour/IMG_1402_zpsgxlpqeyk.jpg

uncleof6
04/29/2015, 01:18 PM
I would not sweat it to much. I suspect that once you mock up your plumbing, you are going to find that the box will need to come past the edge of the bracing. The box needs to be wide enough to get the elbows in and out, (threaded ells/street ells preferred) and you need to be able to get your hand inside the box.

No need to get fancy, I would suggest a full length L shelf, put in in two pieces. You have ~ 2.5' clear and ~2.5' partially hindered, piece of cake. Dry practice, till you come up with a solution. Silicone goes on the piece of glass being put in place, but in the end that does not matter so much for an overflow box.

dirtycontour
04/29/2015, 03:41 PM
Sounds good.
I do plan on making a trial box out of cardboard or wood. I was just worried about making sure the box is secured and leak proof. Thank you.