PDA

View Full Version : Choati Wrasse hiding

m3lacoste
04/28/2015, 07:20 AM
I added a choati wrasse last Friday and it immediatley got harrassed by my leopard wrasse. I didn't think the leopard was aggressive although he's been the only wrasse in the tank. Anyways, I observed the choati swimming for awhile but I haven't seen it since then. My question is how long can a wrasse hide in the sand? I'm hoping it's not dead or jumped. Anyone else have any success with choati wrasses?

Maxxingout
04/28/2015, 07:43 AM
Wrasses are known to hide for 5 plus days in the sand. Do you have a lid on your tank? Wrasses are also known to jump so if not you might want to look into adding one like the version off BRS. Did you QT the wrasse 1st?

m3lacoste
04/28/2015, 08:39 AM
My hamilton canopy sits on top of my tank so it acts like a lid and have the home depot plastic light cut outs to cover the sections that are open but you never know if it squeezed through. Knock on wood, but I didn't QT my fish which goes against all the advice I've read on the forums. All the fish I've purchased with the exception of my powder blue tang and 2 wrasses, have been from previous, established tanks for the most part.

eatbreakfast
04/28/2015, 08:41 AM
Wrasses can hide substantially longer than 5days, though the aggression is worrisome, as it can keep the choati hiding until it perishes. If possible, remove one and place in a social acclimation box to see if aggression will subside. Usually aggression calms down, but if not one may have to be rehomed.

d-man
04/28/2015, 09:14 AM
How'd the other ones look at SWC? I know he got in 14 of them. I'm thinking about jumping on 1 cuz it's an absolutely amazing price, but I need to wait for a couple weeks first. I figure if he has any left they would be well eating by then.

m3lacoste
04/28/2015, 09:23 AM
I think SWC has maybe 5 of them left. They were all active and healthy at least from what I could see. Another guy was picking one up the same time I was there so I know they're going fast. Call Dan, I'm sure he'll hold one for you, he's cool like that.

FDAWG
04/28/2015, 09:50 AM
What's SWC?

snorvich
04/28/2015, 10:09 AM
Wrasses can hide substantially longer than 5days, though the aggression is worrisome, as it can keep the choati hiding until it perishes. If possible, remove one and place in a social acclimation box to see if aggression will subside. Usually aggression calms down, but if not one may have to be rehomed.

I agree. Choati wrasses are difficult to say the least. Also very sensitive to pH changes.

m3lacoste
04/29/2015, 12:06 PM
No sighting yet since Friday. I even checked in the middle of the night to see if he was swimming around in case sleep pattern was unusual.

snorvich
04/29/2015, 01:02 PM
Your boundary conditions from my experience are: 1 week and 1 month. If it survives past a month you are in pretty good shape. They may disappear for quite a time but do NOT go looking for it in the sand.

ridetolive
04/29/2015, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't worry about not seeing the choati leopard for up to a week. I had an ornate leopard that I didn't see for over a week when I first introduced in my old tank and he was fine. What I would be worried about is if the choati is a male or a female. If its a male your other male leopard wrasse may never tolerate it. If its a female it shouldn't be an issue.

bobkill
04/29/2015, 09:27 PM
Choat owner here since oct 9 /14 ---- and several leopards and tamarins - just take a deep breath and wait - I always feed some brine in the middle of the night if a wrasse is mia - however we had a blue spot mis for no joke 26 days - the chaot was 5-6 days
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag120/bobkill197g/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfac00b8c.jpg (http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/bobkill197g/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfac00b8c.jpg.html)

snorvich
04/30/2015, 08:36 AM
Nice image!

m3lacoste
05/06/2015, 07:17 AM
My leopard wrasse is now missing 6 days and still no sighting of the choati since adding April 24. My purple tang and powder blue have developed some ich spots and I'm guessing this is stress related by adding a powder blue, choati wrasse and DaVinci clown pair within the past month. My dilemma was I was hesitant to add more fish since my current fish have been in the tank with no problems for 4 years with the exception of the leopard wrasse that I added last year. I've had my flame hawkfish, blue damsel (first fish from startup), yellow and purple tangs and the new additions may have stressed the dynamic of the tank although I'm hoping not.

snorvich
05/06/2015, 07:30 AM
Stress does not cause ich. Ich causes ich.