PDA

View Full Version : Velvet in tank

klatt
04/28/2015, 03:06 PM
Hello, I'm new to the forum and to the saltwater hobby. I recently(2weeks ago) had 2 small clowns and a damsel die of what i believe was velvet. There are still 2 bangai cardinals, a firefish, lawnmower blenny, and yellow watchmen goby left in my 100G tank. All of which appear to be strong and healthy. I learned my lesson and set up a quarantine tank for any new fish I buy in the future. My question is, will the velvet be permanently in my tank as long as there are fish in it, even if those fish don't show signs or it? Or can i wait for a month or two and if there is still no signs of the illness can I start rebuilding my fish population using my quarantine tank?

Thanks!

snorvich
04/28/2015, 03:24 PM
Velvet will remain active as long as their is a fish host. After all fish hosts are gone, it will die out within six weeks. Best treatment for velvet is chloroquine phosphate.

[welcome]

ThRoewer
04/28/2015, 03:39 PM
Welcome!

Are you sure it was velvet? How did it look and how did the fish behave?

Clowns and damsels would me make suspect rather brook than velvet, especially if no other fish is affected

klatt
04/28/2015, 04:31 PM
I guess I just assumed it was velvet. It started out looking like ich, but the fish got a white haze on them before the end and began looking emaciated. Their appetite never went away. I also have corals, an anemone and other invertebrates in the tank so i don't think I can medicate the tank.

ThRoewer
04/29/2015, 12:05 AM
White haze in the early stages and a thicker peeling white layer, sometimes hanging off in strings and frayed fins indicate brook.
If it looks like a golden or brown dusting it is velvet.