PDA

View Full Version : Keeping multiple types of coral?

Heatherabel3
04/28/2015, 03:36 PM
Is this something that, with proper planning, is okay to do? I am finding the LPS are my favorite types of corals but I also like some of the softies and zoa's, I mean, who doesn't love zoa's. I know to research and make sure they are properly placed for light and flow, but overall, is it ok to mix the different types of corals?

cloak
04/28/2015, 03:43 PM
Yeah, you can mix different types of corals together. Running carbon on a regular basis with help with the Allelopathy, but sometimes this isn't even needed.

Heatherabel3
04/28/2015, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I just saw someone on another post say something earlier about LPS and softies being hard to keep together because one likes stuff in their water and one doesn't. I am not trying to make this any harder than it has to be. lol

tkeracer619
04/28/2015, 03:46 PM
I don't like zoas and neither does my insurance company. Couldn't give em to me.

You can mix corals but they will sting each other, that is how they compete in the wild. So if you get two corals that hate each other they can use chemical warfare against each other. You may not know it's going on and blame one of the other hundred variables. A mature mixed reef is a real pita in terms of corals out competing and stinging each other.

BigCountry74
04/28/2015, 07:31 PM
zoas, mushrooms, lps all easy to mix.

sps mixed with lps, now the challenge comes into play :D

BigCountry74
04/28/2015, 07:32 PM
A mature mixed reef is a real pita in terms of corals out competing and stinging each other.

x2 :beer:

xCry0x
04/28/2015, 08:20 PM

This.

Of course, challenge accepted. Mixed reefs look awesome =)

Although torch/frogspawn corals get dangerous because of how far they reach to sting other corals.

Keeping zoas, mushrooms, acans, chalices, favia and your typical collection of SPS like montis, acros, etc is pretty straight forward. Plenty of people do it.

BigCountry74
04/28/2015, 08:29 PM
yup. lps + end game sps in the same tank is where this hobby get bad ***. i have never been there but someday plan too.

ca1ore
04/28/2015, 08:36 PM
I have a mature mixed reef. SPS, LPS, zoas and a few softies are doing well. Cannot get leathers to grow to save my life though.

Heatherabel3
04/28/2015, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone. So far I haven't found any SPS that I just have to have so that shouldn't be a worry. I am thinking that in a 180 I should be able to keep Torch and Frogspawn far enough away from anything that it could sting but were still a long way from that as we are still shipping in pieces to start setting up. Just want to make sure I have all my bases covered when I start planning rock aquascape and coral placement.

serbusfish
04/29/2015, 04:15 AM
Im running a setup with LPS and softies. There is not a lot of corals in the tank yet though, Softies are a Toadstool, Clove Coral, and a red Mushroom, LPS are a Torch, Elegance, Favia and short tentacled Plate. So far all corals are doing really well, I am running a Carbon pad which I change every 2 weeks. I have seen my Toadstool release some kind of spore into the water on a couple of occasions but my other corals dont seem to be affected by whatever its doing.

On Thursday I am adding some more frags, a blue mushroom, an Acan, a Pulsing Xenia, and a Montipora Cap. The Monti is the only SPS I am interested in so I hope it does well.

snorvich
04/29/2015, 05:06 AM
I don't like zoas and neither does my insurance company. Couldn't give em to me.

You can mix corals but they will sting each other, that is how they compete in the wild. So if you get two corals that hate each other they can use chemical warfare against each other. You may not know it's going on and blame one of the other hundred variables. A mature mixed reef is a real pita in terms of corals out competing and stinging each other.

I keep LPS and SPS. No soft corals, mushrooms, zoanthids. The problem is, of course, that they grow. My youngest tank is about 15 years old.

Waters40
04/29/2015, 07:01 AM
I keep mostly LPS and SPS with a softy or two....I haven't run into any issues yet. My tank is only abou 1.5 years old though so we will see.

JammyBirch
04/29/2015, 07:17 AM

True dat... Just had some warfare going on in my tank where my Milli sps fell onto my hammer...and sat there all day...not good for the SPS...

I also run zoas, lps and sps and have had no problems what so ever in warfare other than the above mentioned which is my own fault for not attaching the rock in place.

you have to manage the position and keep the flow in mind. the nice thing about it is the lps and zoas can be perfectly happy anywhere in the tank really, where sps like more light and flow so they end up in the top of the tank.

The stone cold killer in my tank is the brain maze, the sweepers are pretty long and it's ready to rock as soon as the lights go out...it's on its own island so it can be as tough as it wants. it's just like fish, you hear horor stories about having a 6 line wrasse and royal grama together...same goes with corals.