PDA

View Full Version : Mold Spots

ca1ore
04/29/2015, 07:28 AM
I've noticed recently that the calcium reservoir in my 2-part dosing system has a lot of black mold spots on the inside walls. Mildew, maybe. Never had this before. Anyone have a similar experience? Any reason to think it problematic?

disc1
04/29/2015, 07:36 AM
I would bleach it.

ska d
04/29/2015, 07:40 AM
Vinegar works well to.

bertoni
04/29/2015, 06:21 PM
I haven't seen that happen, but bleach or vinegar should help. I would worry about the mold in terms of the humans in the area, although I don't think it'll affect the tank.

GMay
04/30/2015, 11:10 AM
Why worry about the mold relative to humans?

If it is mold indeed either method of cleaning the reservoirs will work, bleach being better as most molds are acid tolerant.

TigeBell
04/30/2015, 12:06 PM
Why worry about the mold relative to humans

If it is black mold, you definitely don't want that filtering around the house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stachybotrys

However, I doubt this mold is the black mold variety but it is best to bleach/vinegar the item to remove. :)

karimwassef
04/30/2015, 12:49 PM
Does mold grow in alkaline or salty environments?

GMay
04/30/2015, 01:28 PM
There are aquatic fungi both fresh and marine species. One particular variety has been implicated in reef decline, Aspergillus sydowii. This has been a pathogen mostly on sea fans. There are very few cases of fungi affecting normal health people. In most documented cases people that are affected are either hyper allergic, immunosupressed, or the concentration of mold spores is unusually high.

Molds, fungi will grow in alkaline or salty environments. These are not ideal conditions though. Fungi are extremely good at growing in unfavorable environments. Since they normally grow on poor substrates, decaying plant matter, they grow where you also might expect to find them.