PDA

View Full Version : Please help me! Frog spawn horribly brown..

One fish
04/29/2015, 08:11 PM
Hey guys, I am super sad right now. I have had my Frog spawn for a few months now. It has been doing great and growing. I moved it onto a rack in front of my skimmer outflow tube and I think it went downhill and brown from there. I didn't really notice because it was always extended never retracted and always was really big. Now it's just way brown. I read that this might happen if it is in front of a powerhead too long.. Do you guys know what is going on. Any advise or know how to help it? I just moved it.

eddiereefs
04/29/2015, 08:22 PM
lighting? water parameters? could be getting too much light or old bulbs.

CafeReef
04/29/2015, 08:23 PM
I know Ive read that FS doesnt handle higher flow very well and will distress and eventually fall apart. Maybe there is to much flow by your skimmer

One fish
04/29/2015, 08:33 PM
My lighting is a kessil 150. I don't think it is getting too much light, I have had him at the same level the whole time. I will check all of my perimeters right now.
I know Ive read that FS doesnt handle higher flow very well and will distress and eventually fall apart. Maybe there is to much flow by your skimmer
If too much flow was the case, do you think it is too late? I moved him out of the flow area. Is there a chance he will bounce back? He isn't retracted at all but very brown in most areas.
I appreciate the replies!

whosurcaddie
04/29/2015, 08:35 PM
If it was too much flow it wouldn't be extended like it is in the picture.

One fish
04/29/2015, 09:21 PM
I wonder what is going on then? I just checked my perimeters.
Salinity 1.025
Temp 79.3
Calcium 380
Kh 7
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 8.2

Nothing looks weird right?

One fish
04/29/2015, 09:24 PM
And phosphate was zero but I have mad bryopsis..

VisionsOfSalt
04/29/2015, 09:27 PM
You moved it from somewhere in your tank to the rack. Unless the rack is in the exact same spot as it was before, the light it was, and now is, receiving would change. It may be the same height as before but a change of back to front can reduce the light it receives considerably, especially with a light like a kessil.

VisionsOfSalt
04/29/2015, 09:40 PM
And based on the pic if you moved it back to where it was initially happy it should be fine. That is, of course, as long as it wasn't a lighting or flow issue.

Sk8r
04/30/2015, 09:07 AM
Your parameters: mine in my sig line would be better for it. Your alk and cal are both low and you don't list your magnesium.

As a note: there's a new product I'm testing, and just added yesterday, so I can't tell you whether it works, or best procedure to get it to work: it's zooxanthellae in a bottle, which I got from Foster Smith, and it is supposed to assist damaged corals. Phycopure is the name of the product. I have some rescue corals, and I'm testing it.