PDA

View Full Version : Pulling my hair out over second diy led

saltyliving
04/29/2015, 08:39 PM
I bought a biocube that came with a rapid led retrofit. I have exhausted my knowledge of electrical work. Here is what is going on. I plug them in... Nothing then I unplug them and then the lights flash a few seconds later. All connections look good drivers look like they r in good shape. I'm kinda dumbfounded here any help is much appreciated.

oreo57
04/29/2015, 09:36 PM
Which driver?? dimmable??

Webmanny
04/30/2015, 05:54 AM
Share some pictures of the drivers and the LED light itself. We should be able to help you out once we know what output the driver has and what the LED setup is like.

I have built several LED lights myself and my initial impression on this is that the driver is not matched appropriately with the light or there is a connection issue that is preventing the power from getting to all the LEDs.

Please keep in mind that when LEDs are connected in series and one goes bad or breaks lose, the whole light goes bad.

oreo57
04/30/2015, 06:33 AM
Share some pictures of the drivers and the LED light itself. We should be able to help you out once we know what output the driver has and what the LED setup is like.

I have built several LED lights myself and my initial impression on this is that the driver is not matched appropriately with the light or there is a connection issue that is preventing the power from getting to all the LEDs.

Please keep in mind that when LEDs are connected in series and one goes bad or breaks lose, the whole light goes bad.

I'm waiting too.. "IF" dimmable I'd guess the dim circuit is set or stuck below 10%..
No light but capacitor discharge flash after unplugging...

saltyliving
04/30/2015, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the replies. It is dimmable i believe this is the kit that the previous owner used.http://www.rapidled.com/oceanic-biocube-29-dimmable-retrofit-kit/ I did just notice that there is a plug inbetween the dials but i didnt get a cord for that. I assume it was for dimming moon lights but now im not sure.

Here is what i dont get other than everything else... Im not getting consistent power to my fans and my moonlights just flash. seems like the whole thing is all messed up but when i look closely at the boards and connections everything looks solid.

The diode that loose was broken loose due to my messing with it but the problem existed before that. I did not that the white wires coming from the leds has some cracks in the insulation but it is not touching anything to cause a short.

saltyliving
04/30/2015, 08:35 AM
let me know if im missing any pertanent information

oreo57
04/30/2015, 04:00 PM
let me know if im missing any pertanent information

On the one side of the driver you have red,black,blue and white wires..

Dim plus is blue, dim minus is white..

IF it is easy enough remove these wires from whatever they are attached to..
Stick a 9v battery to them.. plus to plus of course..
fire it up..

At your own risk of course..
D dimming runs either 10v signal or 10v PWM signal...

http://www.meanwell.com/search/eln-60/ELN-60-spec.pdf

that loose diode will probably overheat fairly rapidly w/ out being on the heat sink..

dimmer needs 10V's I'm not seeing a voltage source for it.. BTW NO more than 10v or you'll possibly toast the dim circuit in the driver..

saltyliving
04/30/2015, 07:56 PM
On the one side of the driver you have red,black,blue and white wires..

Dim plus is blue, dim minus is white..

IF it is easy enough remove these wires from whatever they are attached to..
Stick a 9v battery to them.. plus to plus of course..
fire it up..

At your own risk of course..
D dimming runs either 10v signal or 10v PWM signal...

http://www.meanwell.com/search/eln-60/ELN-60-spec.pdf

that loose diode will probably overheat fairly rapidly w/ out being on the heat sink..

dimmer needs 10V's I'm not seeing a voltage source for it.. BTW NO more than 10v or you'll possibly toast the dim circuit in the driver...

Awesome! Well that mostly worked. The whites are working but the blues are not even flashing when I unplug them. But it is 2 steps forward and one backward.

saltyliving
04/30/2015, 07:59 PM
Quick update the blue lights flashed when I unplugged them but when I place my hand on the heat sink I get a very dim light out of the blues. Everything is unplugged but the power to the dimmer. This is comfusing....

whyamisofly
04/30/2015, 08:00 PM
Contact Mike at RapidLED - amazing customer service!

oreo57
04/30/2015, 08:48 PM

Awesome! Well that mostly worked. The whites are working but the blues are not even flashing when I unplug them. But it is 2 steps forward and one backward.
So the orig had a dim power supply that wasn't working???
Quick update the blue lights flashed when I unplugged them but when I place my hand on the heat sink I get a very dim light out of the blues. Everything is unplugged but the power to the dimmer. This is comfusing....

I only ran these drivers for a short time b4 going over to LDD's and PWM dimming.
soooooooooooooo much easier.

Anyways "if" you have the whites working, swap driver w/ the blue one to try to understand where the problem is..

I normally check to see if any "stars" are grounding to the heat sink..... Use a digital VOM on either ohms or diode..There is usually enough voltage to dimly light them Just plus to pad plus neg to heat sink..
and reverse..for every diode