PDA

View Full Version : Tunze "strong" magnet algae scrapper

Mightyfish
04/30/2015, 08:03 AM
I recently bought a "strong" model and it is doing a wonderful job and am very happy with it. I do have couple questions if you can help me please:

1. There are 4 cushion stickers on the external unit holder i guess they are for easy moving the unit and reduce possibility to scratch glass outside. However, these cushion stickers move out of their position very easily and end up having majority of the cushion stickers away from the handle. I have peeled them off and restick them, but i find the glue is losing and they dont stick on the handle as well anymore. What can i do about that? Can i buy replacement cushion stickers?

2. When i run the plastic blade horizontally to the edge of the tank it does remove algae efficiently but this involve to push the blade into the silicone. My concern is if i do this for a long period of them would it damage the silicone or tear silicone apart which will lead to weaken silicone and eventually water leak?

this is me
04/30/2015, 08:29 AM
1)I also notice the felt pad move out of their position. So far, I just move them back. But I think you can just go to any home improvement store and get the felt pad.
2)Treat this algae scraper like any other scraper when dealing with the edge of the silicone. Use care to not "dig" too close to the silicone. It can and will destroy the silicone seam if not careful.

rvitko
04/30/2015, 08:42 AM
1) From what I have seen this tends to be a bigger issue in any of the two following cases-
a) they get wet
b) The magnet is oversized, so a strong magnet on 1/2" glass for example.

These pads are available, part 0220.157. I have heard they will change to two rectangular pads soon, they initially had just 2 round pads and due to compression as most people tend to buy overkill, we added a second pair, this will change to one larger rectangular pair in the next couple months. BRS, Salty Supply, AquaCave, Marine Depot and Premium Aquatics I believe all stock the pads and you can order them on Tunze.com.

2) The blades have a curved in side to avoid silicon damage but it doesn't eliminate it, probably the most prudent would be to do the silicon area by hand, which you can do with just the inside half. FWIW, my understanding has always been that the real seal is the silicon between the glass and the bead inside has fairly minimal value as a seal. I can partially verify that as in my college days I bought a used 75 that had a leak in the top 6 inches of one corner and just resealed the inner bead, the tank leaked within 1 year despite thoroughly cleaning the area.

Mightyfish
04/30/2015, 03:29 PM
Thanks Nick and Roger for your info. Hopefully these new rectangular pad will be available in Australia to purchase as well.

d2mini
05/12/2015, 01:59 PM
I was just coming here to mention the pads as well. I have the same issue with them shifting around. They are also leaving some residue on my glass. And they are a bit thin, so there seems to be some touching of the plastic to the glass because I sometimes get squeaking sounds.

Another thing, not so much with the small plastic blade, but the large plastic blade easily pops off. Especially if the inner half falls to the sand. This should be redesigned to have some sort of "click" in place when installing. It needs to be held on tighter.

Still the best magnet cleaner available. Could just use a few minor tweaks.

rvitko
05/12/2015, 03:41 PM
The felt is already addressed the next run will be larger ovalish/rectangular pads, the greater surface area should solve this issue.

The blades should click on, but it is somewhat loose, this can likely be adjusted by a slight change to the blade and I will mention it.

d2mini
05/13/2015, 08:43 AM
Thanks, Roger!
I also forget to mention that the blade was tighter when new, but has since gotten pretty loose.

I'll pick up a new pad when available.