PDA

View Full Version : rowaphos question?

arashsheikhpoor
04/30/2015, 08:33 PM
So, recently I have been getting some browning and loss of color on some my sps along with loss of polyp extension. Long story short I found out my phosphates are .23 and it is suppose to be .07 (I might be a tenth of a decimal for both those values) So considering I have a 75 gallon mixed reef with 8alk 420 cal and 8.3 ph. What is the best process of adding the rowa? How much should I add and when should I just add to the bag every few days?

Ps I dont have a reactor so it will be going in a bag in the sump.

swk
05/01/2015, 08:42 AM
Why is it supposed to be .07?

Could there be another reason for the browning?

arashsheikhpoor
05/01/2015, 09:23 AM
According to what I have read that is an acceptable range... I'm pretty sure the browning is due to the phosphates

Bill Nye
05/01/2015, 09:25 AM
I am not familiar with rowaphos personally but if it is like other GFO's I think it will clump if its not tumbling. You might be able to try mixing it with GAC to avoid that though.

Given you don't have a reactor and your alk is in the right spot you might want to try carbon dosing. Also most people suggest using .02 as your phosphate target. .08 is what many consider to be the upper limit for colorful acros although you can find tanks which break that rule.

bertoni
05/01/2015, 05:24 PM
I am the cautious sort, so I'd probably add something like 1/4 cup as a first dose, and see how the corals respond. The media might be exhausted within a day, so checking the output of the reactor can be helpful if the phosphate level seems to stop dropping. Also, some people have reported problems with dropping the phosphate level rapidly, so going slowly is a good precaution, in my opinion.

ReefCowboy
05/01/2015, 09:27 PM
Rowaphos is no regular GFO, it is VERY efficient and I've found that one must add small amounts to avoid too rapid stripping of PO4 from the system(as mentioned before).

I've used it for a long time, only thing I don't like is that it sort of grinds even when slightly tumbling by itself on low flow.

You could also run half of the right amount for you tank and maybe run the reactor 12 hrs, shut it off for the next 12, then on again...

I say run it that way because I think even at smaller doses, it's bunding capacity can still be very high to strip the levels down to zero within maybe two days.

Dan_P
05/02/2015, 12:59 PM
So, recently I have been getting some browning and loss of color on some my sps along with loss of polyp extension. Long story short I found out my phosphates are .23 and it is suppose to be .07 (I might be a tenth of a decimal for both those values) So considering I have a 75 gallon mixed reef with 8alk 420 cal and 8.3 ph. What is the best process of adding the rowa? How much should I add and when should I just add to the bag every few days?

Ps I dont have a reactor so it will be going in a bag in the sump.

I don't know if your coral appearance diagnosis is valid but I can help with your GFO question. The spec sheet for Rowaphos says that one kilogram with adsorb 25 g of phosphate. In a reactor it will work quickly. A media bag of GFO in the sump is unlikely to work well, if at all. A media bag in a filter sock would be better, though the high flow will force media out of the bag into the filter, requiring that you clean the sock well to remove the GFO crumbs. Not everyone's optimum solution.

I don't have a calculator, so here is a rough estimate of how much Rowaphos you need.

Your 75 gal system is about 300 liters. Each liter contains 0.23 mg of phosphate. This means you need to adsorb a total of 69 mg of phosphate. You need (0.069g/25g)x1000 g of Rowaphos. That looks like 3 grams. So, the suggestions to use less than recommended amount are right on.

tmz
05/02/2015, 09:13 PM
Personally,ime, a range of from 0.02 to 0.05ppm PO4 ,per hanah 713 keeps a wide variety of corals vibrant and richly colored; 0.1 causes no browning. 0 causes paling and pastel shading likely from a phospahte deficiency.. Higher than 0.05 ppm fuels too much algae for my taste. At some point higher PO4 ,say above .2 will alter the calcification process weakening the skeletal structure . Inorganic phosaphte levels in the sea vary at depth and in different locations where the water is more turbid , deeper being higher , high reef surface waters being much lower. Oceanography measures suggest an average around 0.1ppm. Rapid depletion when using gfo can shock the corals so starting small is prudent.

arashsheikhpoor
05/03/2015, 03:28 AM
I appreciate everyones help! I did use less than the reccomended dosage and will test the phosphates tomorrow. Additionally I have bumped up my alk dosing since this stuff has been lowering it.

and dan thanks for the calculations! I know that discoloration is one of the first things that happens with highe phosphates so I will have to give it some time and see.

tmz
05/03/2015, 11:35 AM
Browning is usually a result of increased zooxanthellae density. Zooxanthelae are brown. PO4 may contribute as long as other nutrients like dissolved nitrogen ,iron et al are not limiting. There are a number of tanks running with PO4 levels that are very high with reasonably good but not pastel colors .