PDA

View Full Version : Blue corals Fading to green little bleaching

cleverbs
05/01/2015, 07:34 AM
2 of my frags are the same, they are blue. they colored up really nice for me and now they are starting to turn green at the base and one of them is turning white in the center. What could be causing this. My salinity was really high for some reason the other day. it was up to 1.032 so I dropped it back down to 1.026.

Cal - 430
mag - 1360
alk - 8.0
Salinity - 1.026
Po4 - Still reading .00 via hanna checker
No3 - 0

Maybe its just to low of nutrients?

Here the changes to the system that I have made.

The system went from 280gallon system to about a 45g system because I had to take my 220g offline to restart it and I havent started it back up yet. thats about it.

markalot
05/01/2015, 07:41 AM
A rapid change in salinity probably also resulted in a rapid parameter change? Are you sure your salinity measurements are accurate? Salinity doesn't just rise fast for no reason.

cleverbs
05/01/2015, 09:27 AM
it was my fault because I turned my skimmer off for a few days and when I turned it back on I put saltwater into my ATO to make up for the water pulled into the skimmer that skims my 280g system and I was a fool and forgot to take it off so it was topping off with saltwater. I am sure during that time the other params got high as well. After I adjusted salinity and tested I got the numbers above. I thought maybe my refactormeter was off but I tested it with my calibration liquid and it was spot on.

markalot
05/01/2015, 12:05 PM
it was my fault because I turned my skimmer off for a few days and when I turned it back on I put saltwater into my ATO to make up for the water pulled into the skimmer that skims my 280g system and I was a fool and forgot to take it off so it was topping off with saltwater. I am sure during that time the other params got high as well. After I adjusted salinity and tested I got the numbers above. I thought maybe my refactormeter was off but I tested it with my calibration liquid and it was spot on.

In my experience you may witness issues with the acros for the next month or so. Some will recover quickly, some continue to RTN. I had one acro go brown in 3 days, look horrible for a month, then color right back and start growing again. I lost 3 acros over 2 months, and a few more are still brown but tissue looks healthy.

It's also possible the acros will just be a little upset for a while and then improve. Hoping for the latter! :)

One other thing ... when you notice something wrong do not correct it rapidly unless it's obviously so bad it's killing something. Sometimes the correction is worse than the original problem.

Reefvet
05/01/2015, 12:43 PM
2 of my frags are the same, they are blue. they colored up really nice for me and now they are starting to turn green at the base and one of them is turning white in the center.

How long have you had these frags ?

The change in salinity could definitely cause the RTN. Switching it back rapidly may have some negative effects but they'll likely be minimal.

The change in color would suggest less light or any number of other minute changes in water chemistry. Low potassium for example.

cleverbs
05/01/2015, 12:56 PM
I changed the salinity back in a 24hr period

Iv had the frags a few months,

The only corals that show any sign of stress at all are those 2. Everything else looks great and didnt miss a beat.

Reefvet
05/01/2015, 02:46 PM
Well as long as the tissue loss has stopped I'd say you just need to keep things stable and let them recover.

I have an ORA Joe's coral that was blue and green when I bought it. I put in a frag tank running NSW and it turned all blue. I moved it to lower light and some of the green came back between the corallites. Corals are pretty adaptive to conditions.

Have a Milli that was all green and it turned blue sitting beside the ORA JC.

cleverbs
05/04/2015, 07:06 AM
The frag ended up totally RTN'ing and is now dead. its the only thing that was hurt however.