PDA

View Full Version : Filtration for clownfish

Pearfish
05/03/2015, 06:59 AM
Can i use a sponge filter for breeding tank and fry tank or am i better off using a sump for breeding tank and sponge for fry tank?

thedasher
05/03/2015, 09:14 PM
Sump for breeding tank, sponge filter won't help much. Add the sponge to the fry tank around day 20 or else it may suck up the fry.

billsreef
05/04/2015, 05:43 PM
While a large enough sponge filter will provide adequate biological filtration for the breeding pair, you'll need to do lots of water changes to make for the lack of other filtration.

Ginger bay
05/09/2015, 07:45 AM
while a large enough sponge filter will provide adequate biological filtration for the breeding pair, you'll need to do lots of water changes to make for the lack of other filtration.
+1

ThRoewer
05/10/2015, 03:39 AM
I never used a filter for the larva tanks, just large tanks (120 liter) and after transition to frozen foods a skimmer.
A filter just removes the live foods that you want the little guys to eat. And they don't make enough poo to justify a filter. Though you should remove leftover foods, poo and dead larva from the ground at least twice daily.

I only added a sponge filter cartridge to the power head pump that provided the flow after metamorphosis. And that sponge had to be cleaned daily.

Windy2
09/18/2015, 07:53 AM
Larvel tank with 50 gal sump and drip water changes.