PDA

View Full Version : Used Sand

kegogut
05/03/2015, 08:32 AM
So Im in the process of cleaning around 2-300 lbs. of used sand to put in my tank.

my question is after I rinse it with tap,whats the point of letting it dry out? I plan on rinsing it with some RO/DI with water conditioner to neutralize the chlorine but is there any advantage of waiting to put it in the DT after that?

I should note that the system Im putting the sand in is already up and running.

mystikal
05/03/2015, 09:30 AM
I think letting it dry helps kill the bacteria/hitch hikers

ca1ore
05/03/2015, 09:36 AM
No need to let it dry out IME.

billdogg
05/03/2015, 09:53 AM
I just added a bunch of sand to my 120. After rinsing in tapwater, I just filled a 1qt rubbermaid container to the brim and carefully lowered it into the water until I got to the bottom and then just poured it out where I needed it. No rodi rinse, no dust storm, and no effect whatsoever on any of the corals.

hth

kegogut
05/03/2015, 11:03 AM
No need to let it dry out IME.

Good to know

I just added a bunch of sand to my 120. After rinsing in tapwater, I just filled a 1qt rubbermaid container to the brim and carefully lowered it into the water until I got to the bottom and then just poured it out where I needed it. No rodi rinse, no dust storm, and no effect whatsoever on any of the corals.

hth

This is what I'm doing. I did rinse it with some rodi with tap conditioner and now Im filling up a container that Im sinking to the bottom and dumping. It is leaving the water a bit cloudy but thats to be expected.

Thanks for the input guys. If my tank dies or explodes in the next couple days I'll be sure to post about it! :beer: