PDA

View Full Version : New Tank

mchljrdn
05/03/2015, 07:53 PM
New to the forums - a lot of knowledge to digest - thanks for the hard work community!
I'm a fairly experienced freshwater hobbiest and I'm making the leap to salt (believe it or not at my wifes order). I have 46 gallon bow front running on a Rena X3 cannister filter. The tank has Nova Extreme (2 bulb T5). I had wanted to run a sump but the stand storage is 13 1/2" x 12" x 27". I plan to use live rock and probably a sand bottom. I'm required to have a clown and anemone (probably rose or bubble) - I like the symbiotic relationships so will probably grab the good ol' pistol shrimp & gobie. I don't want to overstock the tank but my mandate is to grab visually appealing fish for my 18 month son who loves the cichlid tanks. I do 30% water changes weekly and have RO water available.

Filtration - what do I need to convert and support the fish - I don't want to skimp but would prefer to save for 220 gallon. I've been told to just hang a protein skimmer and consider it done or to add
Rapids Pro Series Wet/Dry Filter Systems (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3587+19622&pcatid=19622)

Lighting - I have the light I referred to above - but if I need to upgrade should I look for the 4 bulb t5 (any manufactures you love/hate?) or are the leds at the point where they're a good investment?
Fish - any recommendations on fish that aren't shy and might entertain a 2 year old

Live Rock - What are some of the better looking sources? I've seen some that looks great and others just look like slimy rocks.

General Advice - I'm open to any and all advice and appreciate the help.

Thanks for taking time to read my thread! I've been digging through the articles and it's a lot to digest :)

Mike