PDA

View Full Version : 2 maxspect gyre setup?

steallife904
05/04/2015, 12:15 PM
For those of you with the maxspect gyre, specifically those that have 2 in there tank, how did you set the 2 up? I am going to run 2 in my new tank one on each side and trying to determine how i should set them up. I was thinking setting it up for one to run for X amount of time then cut off and the other run for X amount of time. How do you run your 2? if you do run like i was thinking what time lengths do you run them?

Hitch08
05/04/2015, 12:18 PM
What size tank do you have?

timmydatoolman
05/04/2015, 12:26 PM
I will be watching this thread, I have a 220 and was thinking about installing one on each end.

Zalick
05/04/2015, 12:30 PM
I have two 150s on my 300g DD - 6' long 3' wide. I have them placed on opposite sides and also opposite corners ie they are not centered on the ends but all the way to one side. I have them on pulsing and at different pulse rates. This creates awesome flow.

I ran them on opposite ends, opposing and centered, for awhile. just this weekend I pushed them to opposite corners. I like the flow much better.

|------------------|
|X
|
|____________X|

rgulrich
05/04/2015, 12:42 PM
I'm also running two XF150s, but like Zalick's original configuration above - opposite ends - centered. Have them running for 6 hours on opposing cycles, with a 10 minute transition where they both are running, kind of like a tidal movement. This creates a good lateral gyre and every six hours scrubs down the reef when the opposing pump switches on.
That said, I'm looking forward to the larger gyres coming on line soon, at which point I'll move these to the back of the aquarium and use them more intermittently to move the detritus out of other nooks and crannies.

steallife904
05/04/2015, 01:02 PM
my tank will be a 140 gal (60x20.5x27). just trying to figure out best way to set them up using 2.

rgulrich
05/04/2015, 02:07 PM
A lot will be dependent on how you decide to build your reef, and how you envision water will flow in and around it. You will need to access the gyres on a monthly basis for cleaning, so be sure include that in your planning.

Cheers,
Ray

JB NY
05/04/2015, 02:48 PM
I have two in my 270 Gallon tank, on opposite sides. I am using my Apex to control them, only on/off though. I have them alternate (one on one off) constant flow mode ever 6 minutes and every 1.5 hours have them both on for 5 minutes.

DaveRaz
05/04/2015, 10:13 PM
End to end is great. Little pile left in the center to vaccum every other week.

carlso63
05/04/2015, 11:43 PM
I run 2 on my 6 foot 150g - one on each end.

55 min left side 'on'; 5 min both 'off'; 55 min right side 'on'; 5 min both 'off'

Repeat cycle.

I am running mine on 'pulse' mode; 80% power, 0.5 sec pulse

Here is a video to give you an idea of how it works in my tank:

https://youtu.be/nM7bXA1e4Nc

No other pumps in the tank - just the 2 Gyres and the return pump

DDon
05/05/2015, 10:05 AM
I'm running 2 of the 150s, 1 centered on each end, on my 240g (8'x2'x2') mixed reef. Controlled with Apex, continuous mode at 100% alternating between the 2 every 30 minutes with an overlap once an hour where both run. Still playing with how long to run both during the overlap, currently at 1 minute. Also run 2 mp-40s on the back.

rishu_pepper
05/05/2015, 12:35 PM
I'm going to emulate some of your settings once I get my Apex back from the shop. I run two on each side, 96x20x20 peninsula tank, LPS dominant.

bgouges
05/10/2016, 06:58 AM
I'm running 2 of the 150s, 1 centered on each end, on my 240g (8'x2'x2') mixed reef. Controlled with Apex, continuous mode at 100% alternating between the 2 every 30 minutes with an overlap once an hour where both run. Still playing with how long to run both during the overlap, currently at 1 minute. Also run 2 mp-40s on the back.

Hey DDon, just trying to program a very similar setup as yours through my apex, would you mind sharing the programming setup as i cant even get mine to turn on and off using the advanced programming! Dont mind a tinker but im useless when it comes to this programming business! Cheers mate

Ucantwin
05/10/2016, 07:12 AM
I have two gyres in my tank centered at opposite ends of the tank. Unless you have some sort of controller to actually turn them on and off at certain times to have one on and one off for certain times it does not work so well. I tried to do it just like the BRS video shows to set them up but the problem is, in pulse mode the gyres do not turn off they just slow down some between pulses, which I feel affects the gyre action from the other pump because the water is pushing back from other gyre since it doesn't turn off.

I just run both of mine in alternating mode for 2 minutes and then other one for the same and I have been pretty happy.

steallife904
05/10/2016, 08:20 AM
I ended up programming mine on my apex to turn one on and run for 30 min then off and the other one on. Back and fourth like this, been running like this for about 10 months and love it. I did change it to 1 hour instead of 30 min one time but went back for no reason. I have been thinking about going back to an hour recently. I can get the code I used if you would like.

Guess I will ask if you guys think there is any difference in my code running 30 min or an hour, what do u think is better or no difference?

Fitz19d
05/10/2016, 10:14 AM
I have two 150s on my 300g DD - 6' long 3' wide. I have them placed on opposite sides and also opposite corners ie they are not centered on the ends but all the way to one side. I have them on pulsing and at different pulse rates. This creates awesome flow.

I ran them on opposite ends, opposing and centered, for awhile. just this weekend I pushed them to opposite corners. I like the flow much better.

|------------------|
|X
|
|____________X|

THis makes a lot of sense to me. I have 300dd also, but not setup yet. I'm going to try due to the shape actually doing high on the back with both with RW15's probably bottom back corner running along the back in the dead zone of sorts I thought they had directly under them.

bgouges
05/10/2016, 07:13 PM
I ended up programming mine on my apex to turn one on and run for 30 min then off and the other one on. Back and fourth like this, been running like this for about 10 months and love it. I did change it to 1 hour instead of 30 min one time but went back for no reason. I have been thinking about going back to an hour recently. I can get the code I used if you would like.

Guess I will ask if you guys think there is any difference in my code running 30 min or an hour, what do u think is better or no difference?

Yes the code would be extremely helpful! Haha ive been playing with mine the last couple of days and cant get to the bottom of it. Does it look something like
OSC 0.00/30.00/30.00 ON?

Maritimer
05/10/2016, 09:21 PM
I've just got one, in a 65gallon. I run in in alternating mode most of the time, but when it's rainy out, I switch to pulse to simulate random ocean storms.

I've thought that if I had a bigger tank, could afford a second gyre, and one more open outlet, that I'd like to run one in alternating mode, with the other, at the other end, in pulse mode. I suspect that'd move water in a fairly random way around the tank, simulating surge and tide together.

~Bruce

Protoavis
05/14/2016, 06:50 AM
one on either side of tank, alternating mode to 6 hours, let the first one run for approx 5hrs, turn power on for the second...no fancy controller required :P

My tank is seahorses so not a lot of sps (just a few porites and a lot of gorgs and softies) so probably not for everyone.

But essentially it goes one way for 5 hours, has an hour when both are going forward (essentially creating two gyres split down the center where the water meets and around each of the 2 islands), then goes the other way for 5 hours then an hour with both on reserve (movement by pretty calm) before repeating. Psuedo high/low tide.

Reel North
05/14/2016, 09:53 AM
I did mine with a sicce wave maker. Centered, alternating. I ditched them for 2 1" sea swirls and like that flow much better.

spsfle
05/14/2016, 04:41 PM
Anyone using the ice cap for the sync anti sync like in the you tube video?

bgouges
05/15/2016, 10:54 PM
I figured out how to program them both through my apex now :) i have them arranged as in the pic displayed earlier in the thread. I have mine running for two minutes each on an opposite tome schedule. I have done so as i have hundreds of tiny turbo snails that like to make their way into my gyres rotors so i need them moving quite regularly and this also keeps flow variable

ADVRESOURCE
05/22/2016, 06:28 PM
I have two 150's one in each side. Both in gyre mode. One horizontal and one vertical. 5 min between fed and reverse flow. Horizontal has one of the flows reversed. Wave action to the
Max. No dead spots

ADVRESOURCE
05/22/2016, 06:29 PM
240 gal 70 x 24 x 33

ADVRESOURCE
05/22/2016, 06:30 PM
Forward 80% reverse 60%

epstein
05/31/2016, 10:20 AM
Im leaning towards adding a second in a 150 cube. Currently I have one mounted on the overflow vertically and 2 mp 40s . Im thinking another vertical and the off 1 mp40 and leave on on low tidal so it mixes it up..

Cavediver50
07/17/2017, 07:44 PM
I have the set of 2x 280's running on one controller. My 200 gal tank is 72Lx 33Dx29H. Centre internal overflow. The gyres are long, so they are each centred on the back between the overflow box, and tank corner. Then, I also have an Abyzz 400 plumbed on a closed loop, with all 2" spa flex, returning back into the tank through 2x 1" Vertex Oceans in each back corner, through a hole in the eurobrace. The tank is just being setup now, started running the RO/DI water into the system since yesterday morning. Started adding some salt to mix this evening, as the tank is filled now, and trickling down into the filter system in the basement.

Cavediver50
07/17/2017, 07:45 PM
Right now, I am trying out the "random" setting

brianbrainstein
01/04/2018, 07:47 AM
Bumping this thread. I just added my second 250 gyre to the tank. I have it set to do different settings throughout the day. From 12:00 - 16:00, I alternate left and right at 0% and 20%. From 16:00 - 21:00, I run random up to 50%. Then I start to slow it down for the night.

There is quite a bit of swirly flow when the gyres are both running opposing. What are ya'lls thoughts on having them crash together like that? Positive or negative?

chevythang92
06/07/2018, 08:08 AM
Bumping this thread. I just added my second 250 gyre to the tank. I have it set to do different settings throughout the day. From 12:00 - 16:00, I alternate left and right at 0% and 20%. From 16:00 - 21:00, I run random up to 50%. Then I start to slow it down for the night.

There is quite a bit of swirly flow when the gyres are both running opposing. What are ya'lls thoughts on having them crash together like that? Positive or negative?Im no pro only on day 2 with 2 xf250 and so far when they crash in the middle on my 180 its clearing the sand out in about 22 hrs exposing the glass bottom at %20 so i need to change where it crashes through out the day. hopefully that will fix my problem.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk