PDA

View Full Version : Bta won't eat

slickace17
05/05/2015, 11:06 AM
I have a green BTA that won't eat I've had him for about almost a month and a half maybe 2 months he survived a tank crash and he has been making a turn around when it first happened but I had to leave my tank for three weeks with my girlfriend and he didn't eat properly he wasn't spot Fed should I say and now he will not eat when I try to spot feed him I have tried my sis shrimp and silver side he won't take either and I made sure the shrimp was fresh my water parameters are salinity 1.025 pH 8.1 nitrite 0 ammonia 0 nitrates 0 and I try to feed him every other day along with my other BTA who is doing fine here is a pic of the comparison http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/05/dcd8c458ea3eb71ce8bb15ebbd5d4924.jpg
The sickly one is on the right

MoneyGone
05/05/2015, 11:11 AM
I have had Green and Red BTA's for over 10 years and never feed them anything.

slief
05/05/2015, 11:15 AM
While many people feed their BTA's, BTA's happen to be photosynthetic filter feeders. As such, it's not really normal for BTA's to eat the kind of things that many feed their BTA's.
I have two very large BTA's (one of mine is over 24" across) in my tank that I have had for many many years and I never feed them. Despite not being fed, they grow like weeds. I would not worry about your BTA's not taking handouts. In fact, I am of the opinion that feeding them shrimp and things people give them may actually stress them.

laga77
05/05/2015, 11:18 AM
Your clown is probably sneaking it some food.

Fish Bowl
05/05/2015, 11:19 AM
If it's not eating, don't worry about it. You can actually leave them alone and rely on your lighting (provided its adequate) and it will do fine.

Reefvet
05/05/2015, 12:13 PM
Your clown is probably sneaking it some food.

There's no doubt the clown is feeding it, on the ammonia it produces from eating. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022098108005753)

slickace17
05/05/2015, 01:54 PM
It was eating before and it has seem to have shrunken it was larger when I first had it he moved up the rock

davocean
05/05/2015, 01:58 PM
If it's not eating, don't worry about it. You can actually leave them alone and rely on your lighting (provided its adequate) and it will do fine.

This is true, many do not spot feed at all.
Sometimes a bleached nem needs small food like mysis to help it recover and regain zooxanthellae but a nem w/ good health and color should get all it really needs from light.

JRR1285
05/05/2015, 02:42 PM
I will throw a bunch of sinking pellets at it from time to time. Both my RBTA and my rock anemone readily close around and consume the pellets.

slief
05/05/2015, 02:50 PM
It was eating before and it has seem to have shrunken it was larger when I first had it he moved up the rock

I can tell you with 100% certainty that your issue is not a result of a lack of feeding. As I and others have already mentioned, BTA's do not need to be fed in a healthy established system.

Is this a new tank? I see some green algae on the rocks and little to no coraline on the upper rocks. If you tank is only a few months old, I think you may be starting off a little quick. BTA's should be put into well established tanks and not a newer system. A new tank will go through a wide range of cycles over the first several months. Not just the first cycle that everybody is usually worried about but instead a lot of biological changes. The kinds of changes that are not really conducive to an anemones health. Also, lighting could have something to do your BTA's health. They like strong lighting and good flow. I think you need to tell us more about your tank, it's age, your flow as well as your lighting.

Dmorty217
05/05/2015, 03:02 PM
Clown hosted anems don't need to be fed. Slief brought up some really good points and questions

slickace17
05/06/2015, 06:32 AM
I've had the tank for about 9 months now almost to a year and my parameters are fine or still fine just like in my last quote but my light is a Current Marine LED light it seems strong enough for my other BTA and my sick one is not bleached he just seems to have shrunken but besides that all of my other corals are fine well I only have one other coral which is an acan who seems to be thriving (BTW how can I get him to spread across my rock) the tank was set up about 9 months I just got the light maybe about 3 months ago but I put him in after I got the lights

davocean
05/06/2015, 11:29 AM
Sometimes they need to acclimate to new lighting, good chance your LEDs could be stronger than what it was under at LFS

slickace17
05/06/2015, 12:12 PM
Thing is he was doing fine under these same lights and was larger before the tank crash ever since he has shrunken and stopped eating and lost length and some color in his tentacles sometimes he stay elongated and slumped over but he stays attached to the rock he doesn't look to b dying but he doesn't look like a clean bill of health

davocean
05/06/2015, 02:01 PM
Oh I did not catch the tank crash part anywhere, so yours could be a harder issue to pinpoint here.
All I can say is stay on WC's best as you can and hopefully it comes back to health, try to squirt mysis if you wish to spot feed.