PDA

View Full Version : Is this Aiptasia?

brittonv
05/05/2015, 09:27 PM
So so excited to add some coral to my new tank. Dipped it and all that good stuff...

Tonight I get out my flash light and see what I think is Aiptasia in my Zoas.... If I am right I am guessing I should go get some Peppermint shrimp like tomorrow! How many shrimp should I get?

http://www.thebrittons.net/vince/share/tank/closeupinvader.jpg

Kenpo guy
05/05/2015, 10:07 PM
No guarantee they will eat it but its worth a try since they don't cost very much. Hard to tell from that pic but it very well could be. If the shrimp dont eat it then you can buy something from your lfs to kill it but I'd wait until a few more experienced people here chime in. Good luck.

ca1ore
05/05/2015, 10:09 PM
Either that or Majano, cannot tell for sure.

CafeReef
05/05/2015, 11:35 PM
pretty clearly aiptasia to me. wirey arms rather than the more "bubble" type of mojanos.

bobbychullo
05/06/2015, 12:53 AM
im gonna go mojano. the aptasia i had did not have that coloration around the mouth. the aptasia in my tank would occasionally release from the rock and float around the tank, i grabbed one and put it in a cup and took it to work. it lived all day. i finally destroyed it at the end of the day but needless to say they are hardy.

sean2sean
05/06/2015, 01:36 AM
i say mojano

ca1ore
05/06/2015, 01:41 AM
pretty clearly aiptasia to me. wirey arms rather than the more "bubble" type of mojanos.

It's got a lot of 'color' though. Aptasia aren't called 'glass anemones' for nothing :lol: Regardless, removal is the order of the day.

CuzzA
05/06/2015, 04:58 AM
I would just pull the rock and plug the crevice the anemones are in with some super glue.

johnike
05/06/2015, 05:08 AM
I'll say yes.

brittonv
05/06/2015, 06:59 AM
So I removed the piece from the tank last night and tried to mix up a paste of my BRS Calcium Chloride and hit them with it. If that doesn't kill them I will get some Aptasia X from RedSea and try that.

so as a noob, is this to be expected when buying a piece like this or should I be looking for a different LFS?

I wish I had seen this advice last night. This should have come to me!

I would just pull the rock and plug the crevice the anemones are in with some super glue.

JammyBirch
05/06/2015, 07:17 AM
So I removed the piece from the tank last night and tried to mix up a paste of my BRS Calcium Chloride and hit them with it. If that doesn't kill them I will get some Aptasia X from RedSea and try that.

so as a noob, is this to be expected when buying a piece like this or should I be looking for a different LFS?

I wish I had seen this advice last night. This should have come to me!

Pretty typical occurrence from LFS, they buy and trade form hobbyists that is how they get these problems. I had a the same thing happen to me, mixed up some calcium paste and cemented right over it...no problem.

It's good you caught it, although i've never had a break out, everyone says they are a major pain when they invade.

brittonv
05/06/2015, 08:14 AM
I hit it with calcium about 8 hours ago, but have not pasted over (can't find where they were) how long till I can be sure they are dead?

hotelbravo
05/06/2015, 09:18 AM
Im also for mejano

tmz
05/06/2015, 09:37 AM
Aiptasia or majahno. Kill it early. Lystmata wundermani( peppermint shrimp) are hit and miss but they do pick at zoanthidae and other corals ,ime.
I'd just take a pick snmall screw driver or an awl and scrape them off ,out of tank, blotting the immediate areas area with a dry paper towel to get any remnants.

JammyBirch
05/07/2015, 12:19 PM
I hit it with calcium about 8 hours ago, but have not pasted over (can't find where they were) how long till I can be sure they are dead?

You just have to look for them, if you Kalk pasted over them they will be gone. You badically cement over them, they cant get back out and you create a nice patch for coralline to grow over it.

brittonv
05/08/2015, 09:44 PM
It's been 3 days and I haven't seen them again. At what point can I be sure the calcium killed them?

johnike
05/09/2015, 05:49 AM
When you no longer see them.
;)
:)