PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet Reef hermit crab behaviour

Sapi
05/08/2015, 02:38 AM
I got 3 scarlet reef hermit crabs and one has just sat on the sand for a couple of days. I thought it was dead but then realised it had just shed its shell. However, its been a couple of days since its done it and although its wandered over to the other side of the tank its not moved again but is still alive. Do they just need to recuperate after this or should I move it onto the rock?

sam.basye
05/08/2015, 07:02 AM
From my experience, some are more active that others. You may have gotten one that just like sto loiter instead of clean. The Scarlet's are however one of the most peaceful of the hermit crabs, compared to the blue leg, which I've seen force another hermit out of its shell just for fun and leave the shell behind. Hope you didn't get a lazy one!

J2T
05/08/2015, 12:35 PM
Yep I have found the scarlets to be one of the more laid back hermits and are one of my favorite. I have 2 in my tank and both of them will vary between being active or just kind of chilling in one spot for long periods of time.

Sapi
05/09/2015, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the info - I've got a couple of blue legged ones too and they are a lot more active than the red ones. I've seen them climb over a couple of snails already so fingers crossed they aren't too mean.

I think I have a laid back crab as its just happy to sit and chill where it is still - good to know that that's just how some of them are :cool:

Shawn O
05/12/2015, 01:47 PM
Land Hermits often need a few days to weeks to recuperate after molting, I've heard marine hermits sometimes need a few days as well. Their exoskeleton takes a bit of time to harden and their bodies are soft post-molt. Couldn't hurt to supply it with some extra calcium, maybe a chunk of Cuttlebone would do?