PDA

View Full Version : Kessil A160w tuna blue & Fusion 20

Zoanthid777
05/09/2015, 09:49 AM
Hi all, I just installed a Kessil A160w tuna blue over an Innovative Marine 20 gallon fusion tank. The light is about 9 inches from the surface of the water. I have a few zoas, mushrooms, a leather coral, hammer, and 2 trumpet stalks (all basically frags) near the bottom. I do not know what the PAR is in my tank.

Do you think the Kessil is enough light? My tank is 24 inches long, 13 inches high and the display tank is 12 inches front to back. I have about a 1 1/2 to 2 inch sand bed.The spread from the Kessil seems good.

I can add another Kessil but that puts the price up to something more powerful that can be remote controlled, like a Radeon XR15pro.

The Kessil is an awesome light but I can exchange/return it. I want to make sure I have enough light for softies and LPS. I would love to add a couple of SPS near the top one day, although I read it is not advisable to mix LPS with SPS, so that not may not happen after I research more about it.

I am not a newbie; just getting back into the hobby after after several years.

Thanks

moondoggy4
05/09/2015, 10:01 AM
Yes the light is plenty Led lights don't do well with width, so if you want to do SPS put them under the light and the softies and LPS off to the sides Should work great and maybe one day if needed you good add another one, but I would not be in a hurry for that.

Zoanthid777
05/09/2015, 10:15 AM
Thank you for the speedy reply Moondoggy.

All this new technology for reef keeping is mind boggling, AIO tanks, LED lights....

The Kessil is awesome. I'm glad I made the right decision for this tank.

Now, can I ask you, do I really need to ramp up and down? I just have the Kessil to come on for 8 hours a day at full intensity with the color knob at half way, which provides a nice mix of blue and white. If I need to buy a LED controller what would you recommend? A controller seems like overkill.

The corals all seem to be doing well. I like a minimalist approach.

moondoggy4
05/09/2015, 11:05 AM
Ramping up and down is for your eyes, yes it helps with the fish and corals kinda of like someone turning on a light to wake you up. With new corals you will have to dim the light and ramp it up slowly especially with the torch.

So far the Kessil controller seems to be the best bang for the buck. I do have a Kessil 160 as well I sold my 150 because it could not be dimmed, but I have not bought they're controller as yet, also due to the fact the tank is still empty, I was busy fiddling with my main tank. I would just run your light until you feel it is necessary to buy there controller. With SPS and LPS it is a placement game. Knowing how far the sweep tentacles will reach.

The Radion Pro is nice, $400 hear in the US the Kessil 160 w/ Gooseneck w/90 degree? w/controller 100 bucks, in total 400 US, so near the cost of the Radion without the light bracket. So getting two is expensive so I would not recommend it unless you have too.