PDA

View Full Version : How to remove dead fish from inside rock work

htjunkie
05/09/2015, 08:37 PM
RIP my blackcap basslet, had him for close to 2 years :(

He was hiding a lot in the last few weeks, found him today in the rock work. My blood red shrimp has been on him, I don't know how I can get the body out, it would be major work to remove the rocks to get my hand down there. Should I just leave it to the CUC? Making me sad even just to talk about it!

tc2007
05/09/2015, 08:52 PM
I use this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RHP7TS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tc2007
05/15/2015, 12:19 PM
Just make sure you dry it immediately or it will rust.

wildman926
05/15/2015, 12:54 PM
Leave it...great for the tank, CUC, corals, etc. It is a natural process to leave it, just like the ocean.

CStrickland
05/15/2015, 01:41 PM
Well, not just like the ocean really.
Say it's a 30g, the ocean would have to be fuuulll of dead fish for it to equal a basslet for every 30g of water. Maybe a dead fish in a tank half the size of a football field or something. In the ocean the fish can swim away from a rotting corpse until the scavengers get it cleared, and the toxic emissions from it would be far more diluted, lessening the effect on coral. Sometimes things die way in the rock and you can't get them out. C'est la vie, dose Prime. It seems weird to leave it there on purpose cause it's natural when so many things about our tanks aren't.

radobahn
05/15/2015, 03:15 PM
To get it out and prevent chunks from floating around I'd siphon it out. Whether it's out in the open or hiding between rocks, I use the same small hose and 5 gal bucket used for sucking detritus out of the sump during water changes.

slief
05/15/2015, 03:30 PM
One small dead fish in your 60 gallon display with a 30g sump should have absolutely no impact on your tank or inhabitants. If it were easy to get, I would remove it but since it's not, I wouldn't worry about. Like I said, one dead fish shouldn't even register on your test kits and it will provide a food source for your clean up crew. Within about 48 hours, all that should be left are some bones.

whosurcaddie
05/15/2015, 03:41 PM
^^^^ What he said.^^^^

htjunkie
05/17/2015, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys, have been a hell of a week!

My tank had a mini crash as I lost 3 fishes in one week :( First was the basslet, 3 days after my Pakistan butterfly, then follow by my Kole tang.

When I found my Pakistan butterfly at the bottom of the tank, the same day I found the rest of basslet attached to the powerhead. The body of the basslet was like an alien attached to the powerhead, so scary looking. I still don't know how it got attached to the powerhead from in between rocks across the tank.

My water parameters were okay, I have since changed water a few times, all remaining stock seems alright so far.

Sucks to see them go without the ability to help!