PDA

View Full Version : Need help on filtration plz

Jdavis8824
05/11/2015, 02:31 PM
Hi, I currently have a 20g nuvo nano tank and I would like to upgrade the filtration a little bit, but I'm not sure what to add. My current set up is 2 upgraded media baskets both with filter floss (top), chemi pure elite (mid) and puragen (bottom) in each basket. I also run a Aqua euro nano skimmer 2 in one of the 4 compartments. I also run a ocean revive 120w t27 led. When I purchased the baskets I also received a fuge basket but when I put chaeto in it, it started to turn white. So I was thinking of adding a bag of something in the fuge basket or maybe run a pump with GFO or something. I have 4 small hermit crabs and 2 larger ones, 3 trochus snails, 2 davici clowns and one mardrian goby. Before you say something about the goby know that I take good care of him. He eats frozen brine, mysis, cyclops, live brine and I have a mature culture of tisbe pods that I add to the tank once a week. He's fat and looks happy. I feed him a lot espically the cyclops and live brine. Seems to love those. What should I add to that empty compartment? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I want to maximize my filtration. I do weekly water changes and not a lot of aglae. Also should I add more crabs or snails? Tank is about 6 months old but my corals seem to grow fast some weeks then slow other weeks. I feed my tank a lot to promote the clowns to start breeding and to keep goby happy. Small amounts about 3-4 times a day.

Jdavis8824
05/12/2015, 06:20 AM
Anyone?

oldbones
05/12/2015, 06:29 AM
What is prompting you to think you need better filtration?

How does your current skimmer perform? Would a skimmer upgrade be the logical next step?

Jdavis8824
05/12/2015, 07:05 AM
The skimmer skims pretty well but the skim mate isn't that dirty. But it seems to be working pretty well. I just don't want to waste the extra space I have and the corals seemed happier when the tank was younger. My bio load has increased and growth has slowed so I was wondering what I could do to get the most out of my built in sump

Jdavis8824
05/12/2015, 07:06 AM
Been feeding a lot and also adding reef energy A&B so I want something that can help my small system keep up and stay safe

sfoister
05/12/2015, 07:12 AM
Live rock rubble in the extra compartment, done.

heathlindner25
05/12/2015, 07:31 AM
Hang a small reactor off the back and use that compartment for the pump...fill with gfo.

Jdavis8824
05/12/2015, 08:17 AM
They have a reactor that fits inside that compartment. Might just do that. So GFO is the best thing to use in it?

CStrickland
05/12/2015, 09:25 AM
You guys know chemipure elite has gfo already, right?
Gfo is for phosphate or silica problems, since you don't have algae or diatoms it doesn't sound like a problem you have. The fact that cheato turned white could mean your water is already very clean. You don't report any water parameters, so there's no reason to think your waters not perfect.

The two part doses have stuff that's good in small amounts (ie. Copper) but more isn't always better, filtration is good but once the water is clean more isn't always better, media can solve problems that come up but more isn't always better. If you want your coral to grow better, I'd test the water to see if there's a problem there before I started trying to fix it, if there weren't then I'd look at light next since feeding sounds good.

If you clutter up all those compartments with unecessary and expensive media or rocks just because they are there then you are making your sump much harder to clean.

heathlindner25
05/12/2015, 10:21 AM
I dont use carbon but do like gfo if its run in a reactor.

Jdavis8824
05/12/2015, 11:45 AM
Yea your right. I think I should just start adding elements to keep consistent levels. Right now I use coral pro salt and since my corals growth has slowed a little it could be because they are consuming more elements. So I will try dosing before I get a reactor. Also I have 3 tiny hermits and 2 medium size hermits along with 3 trochus snails. Should I add more?

Jdavis8824
05/12/2015, 11:53 AM
Also should I add a shrimp or something to sift the sand bed? My sand bed is almost 2 inches deep

Jdavis8824
05/12/2015, 12:44 PM
I have very porous live rock, is there something I can add to help get into the nooks and crannies that the crabs and snails can't get to?

Jdavis8824
05/12/2015, 12:45 PM
My mardrian is eating all the pods in the tank so I need something else. Was thinking a cleaner shrimp might help a little.

Jdavis8824
05/12/2015, 03:13 PM
Also should I go with a reactor with bio pellets or a dosing pump with reef foundation? I could do without both but Father's Day is coming up so I want to get one while I can. Levels right before water change is 400 cal 11 dkh and around 1250 mag.

heathlindner25
05/12/2015, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't use the bio pellets unless you have an awesome skimmer

Jdavis8824
05/12/2015, 04:38 PM
Why? Skimmer does a decent job

heathlindner25
05/12/2015, 05:48 PM
Why? Skimmer does a decent job

bio pellets are a type of carbon dosing... Vodka or vinegar works just as well I prefer vodka.
If you would like to carbon dose you don't need any equipment exept a skimmer that works efficiently